Outstanding accuracy on the Cal. 8800?!

I’ve cracked the code with Omega’s caliber 8800. On my wrist for two thirds of the day, and the watch gains 1.5 seconds. For the remainder third (overnight), the watch lies dial up (roughly 30 degrees up) and loses the 1.5 seconds.

I’m still perfectly synced to atomic time since I’ve last calibrated the watch on Dec. 26th, 2021. That’s 0 gained/lost overall seconds since then.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

SM trilogy 8806;
Screenshot_20220107-161627.png
Looks good. Do you input this data into the app, or is it measured (similar to a timegrapher)?

Looks good. Do you input this data into the app, or is it measured (similar to a timegrapher)?
Watchcheck app on Android.

I keep a log in the notes section on my cell and I too am having wonderful accuracy from 8800.

Average about 1.5 fast a day and that’s with similiar wear patterns to the OP, wear it most of the day and lay it down dial up at night while I sleep

I will add that I’ve accidentally dropped my watch several times and have bumped it on doorframes etc and it has never had issues. Rock solid, just as tough as my Gshock

I keep a log in the notes section on my cell and I too am having wonderful accuracy from 8800.

Average about 1.5 fast a day and that’s with similiar wear patterns to the OP, wear it most of the day and lay it down dial up at night while I sleep

I will add that I’ve accidentally dropped my watch several times and have bumped it on doorframes etc and it has never had issues. Rock solid, just as tough as my Gshock
Do you notice accuracy fluctuations when you rest it in different positions at night?

I honestly have never rested it in any orientation other than dial up. I’ve had such great results and consistency over almost 3 years that I’m scared to do anything different

I think this movement is a winner. I’m curious what kind of service intervals it might require. The dealer I got mine from said don’t worry about a thing for at least 10 years... not sure if that’s realistic I’ll just keep monitoring its accuracy until an issue arises

Mine runs +5 spd and about +7 of I leave it face up overnight. I expected better given the price.

Mine runs +5 spd and about +7 of I leave it face up overnight. I expected better given the price.
Try experimenting with different resting positions. Even positions outside the standard 5 or 6 adjusted positions.

I’m sure you’ll find one that loses a second or two a night, which will get your watch down to a more desirable daily rate.

Dial up gains the most for me too (about 5 spd if left in that position all day). You’ll find the sweet spot, with some effort.

I honestly have never rested it in any orientation other than dial up. I’ve had such great results and consistency over almost 3 years that I’m scared to do anything different

I think this movement is a winner. I’m curious what kind of service intervals it might require. The dealer I got mine from said don’t worry about a thing for at least 10 years... not sure if that’s realistic I’ll just keep monitoring its accuracy until an issue arises

Thank You Archer!

I have come to understand you are a highly regarded member of this forum and have appreciated your insight as I read through various threads

I’m a worrier and like to baby my possessions so I think I will err on the side of caution when I get closer to service time and not try to stretch it just to save a few bucks.

I’m sure this has been addressed and beaten like a dead horse over the years.. but in your opinion if a watch has been pressure tested and also exhibits no signs of mechanical issue, is it best to send it in for service anyway?

Can the cost of a full service fluctuate based upon unforeseen internal wear? Or is it standard practice that during a full service, whatever needs attention will get addressed under one blanket fee, regardless of how many internal components were repaired/replaced?

Thank you for all you contribute to the forum

Thank You Archer!

I have come to understand you are a highly regarded member of this forum and have appreciated your insight as I read through various threads

I’m a worrier and like to baby my possessions so I think I will err on the side of caution when I get closer to service time and not try to stretch it just to save a few bucks.

I’m sure this has been addressed and beaten like a dead horse over the years.. but in your opinion if a watch has been pressure tested and also exhibits no signs of mechanical issue, is it best to send it in for service anyway?

Can the cost of a full service fluctuate based upon unforeseen internal wear? Or is it standard practice that during a full service, whatever needs attention will get addressed under one blanket fee, regardless of how many internal components were repaired/replaced?

Thank you for all you contribute to the forum

I reread my post and to clarify further, if Omega recommends a 5-8 year service window, would it be best to send it in at 5 or wait closer to the 8.

That’s quite a variance, 3 years is awhile, so I guess the best way to ask my question, what is to be gained by going “early” at 5 years, rather than stretching it to 8 years, provided the watch is running well and has been tested for water resistance, If the cost of the service is the same regardless of the extra wear and tear that may occur on those internals between years 5 and 8

Sorry for the long winded posts, but this is how I learn, so again.. I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge

Cheers !

There are two types of maintenance that watch collectors typically employ. One is preventative maintenance (sending the watch in at regular intervals, regardless if there's any specific problem), and breakdown maintenance (waiting for the watch to develop a problem).

People tend to be very entrenched in their views on this, so my main point is always that no one approach is always right. For a modern watch that you are sending to the service center, waiting until there's a problem won't likely cost you more money. The brand will replace all worn parts for a flat fee. The exception here is if the watch is damaged through something like water intrusion, and when that happens parts that are not normal wear parts will need replacing, and that will cost you extra.

For a vintage watch with difficult to find parts, those parts are likely very expensive, so in those cases the cost of parts may increase the price of the service significantly. A typical modern train wheel that may cost me $20 or so, may be more than double that for a vintage watch when I order from Omega. For parts that Omega no longer has, you can be looking at $150 for that same wheel purchased on the open market. The worst case I've had so far is a train wheel for a vintage Patek, and the only one I could find was a used one that the seller wanted $500 for (+$50 shipping).

So as long as you don't get the watch wet, running your modern watch until it has a problem is likely the most cost effective way to approach it. Some people are fine with this and some don't like the idea of parts wearing away inside their watches - that sort of mechanical sympathy varies widely between people though.

I reread my post and to clarify further, if Omega recommends a 5-8 year service window, would it be best to send it in at 5 or wait closer to the 8.

That’s quite a variance, 3 years is awhile, so I guess the best way to ask my question, what is to be gained by going “early” at 5 years, rather than stretching it to 8 years, provided the watch is running well and has been tested for water resistance, If the cost of the service is the same regardless of the extra wear and tear that may occur on those internals between years 5 and 8

Sorry for the long winded posts, but this is how I learn, so again.. I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge

Cheers !
Archer is the expert here, and you may want to await his reply—but I did ask this very question during a recent purchase, and was told to bring it in near the 5 year mark if I’m going to be wearing it everyday (and/or stored in a winder), and near the 8 year mark if it’s a piece that is going to be sitting around a lot.

Excellent information Archer and Leviathan!

Thank you for educating me, i enjoy learning about these mechanical wonders just as much as i enjoy them for their aesthetic beauty

I’ve cracked the code with Omega’s caliber 8800. On my wrist for two thirds of the day, and the watch gains 1.5 seconds. For the remainder third (overnight), the watch lies dial up (roughly 30 degrees up) and loses the 1.5 seconds.

I’m still perfectly synced to atomic time since I’ve last calibrated the watch on Dec. 26th, 2021. That’s 0 gained/lost overall seconds since then.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

My 2007 SMP (2226.80.00) is exactly the same. Not serviced either. Incredible timekeeping.

My 2019 Railmaster with the 8806 Master Chronometer is just as accurate.

Excellent.

Mine is about... 3 times faster than that when worn all day and dial up at night

My watch is very accurate so far after two weeks of owning. I wear it about 14 hours per day. During that time, it gains one second. In the beginning, I would lay it dial up at night, and it would gain two seconds over night. I then decided to place it crown up at night at about a 45 degree angle. After doing that, it would lose one second. So, wearing it 14 hours gains one second. Then placing it crown up at 45 degrees for ten hours loses that second. Basically, I am at zero seconds every 24 hours. I have the aqua terra 38mm with 8800.

I don't keep track of spd lost or gained on my watches but once every few weeks, I sync them to the atomic clock.

I have noticed that my 8500s are the most accurate, and my 8800s are generally more accurate than my 8900s.

I'm very happy with mine.
Screenshot_20240204-114716_WatchCheck.jpg

Mine is good for +3 or +4 a day and this is very reliable. I wear mine all the time but if I adopt a more classical wear pattern and I find dial up may be good for a few seconds of loss, the average lowers to +2. I'd like quartz accuracy but this is good.