Forums Latest Members

SOLD Outstanding 1950 Jumbo Vintage ETERNA cal. 852S

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 29, 2019

As the vintage watch market began its period of rapid growth, ETERNA remained somewhat under the radar. That changed a few years ago, as both the chronographs (of course) and these high-quality, larger time-only models from the '40s and '50s began to catch the eyes of collectors.

Over the past three or four years, the best of these have largely fallen into "strong hands", and no longer circulate in the market. A fairly high percentage of those that appear these days have radium dials, and either have condition issues or re-lumed hands.

This particular watch is one of the larger ETERNA cal. 852S models at 36.5mm, and it wears a touch larger, in my view. It is a simple beauty that most dealers would call "mint". I prefer to be conservative in my assessments, so will characterize it as excellent, due to a couple of trivial flaws.

I'm a sucker for nice Arabic dials, and this one surely fits the bill. The mirror outer track is narrow enough to be subtle, but provides a really nice contrast. The trademark ETERNA red lacquer-tipped second hand also provides a pleasing contrast to the large white dial, and has practical value. Note also that this is not a printed dial. The indexes are enameled, a process that was more expensive and of higher quality than printing. There are two tiny – and I do mean tiny – nicks between the 5 and center pinion.

While a fairly high percentage of these 852 models have etched case backs, this more discreet type of case is also correct, and is in its original, unpolished condition. The contrast between the brushing on the lugs and mid-case, and the polished bezel, is quite nice. The more common backs had the serial numbers engraved on the outside, and were sometimes (though not always) blank inside. I am certain that this one was not polished, as, among other reasons, the tool slots are invariable "tells". There are a couple of fine (not deep) scratches on the back, which could easily be polished out if desired.

The cal. 852S (S for center-second) is also in excellent condition. These movements are attractively designed, reliable, and feature a large balance for added precision. I do not know the last date of service, and would strongly suggest one for regular wear. The movement dates to 1950.

The crown is the only part of the watch that shows a some wear. I assume that it is original, and it does work properly.

Please note that I am selling the watch head only, so no strap.

I ask €2000 for this rare beauty, and will ship FedEx insured worldwide. I would prefer a bank transfer to my EU bank, but will consider other options.

In terms of flexibility, I am always willing to listen to serious offers, but bear in mind that examples like this appear on the market only rarely.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shishy www.hpmor.com Oct 29, 2019

Wow...

3. tmw57 Oct 29, 2019

Indeed....

Syrte and Tony C. like this.
  4. alam Oct 29, 2019

it's just a simple but super cool dial! ::love::

Tony C. likes this.
  5. KingCrouchy Oct 29, 2019

Looks stunning!::love::

Syrte and Tony C. like this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 30, 2019

Interest shown, but no deal yet. I wouldn't count on finding another one like this, and especially in this condition!

7. aap Oct 30, 2019

What a beauty, Tony!

Tony C. likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 4, 2019

At the risk of parroting others, what a stunning beauty!

Tony C. likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 5, 2019

OHPF!

Flatfoot, Henneth, tmw57 and 3 others like this.
  10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 8, 2019

Sold! Thanks to E. from Italy, and the OF community.

NT931, 12.68z, aap and 1 other person like this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 8, 2019

Amazing watch, congrats to both buyer and seller :thumbsup:

Tony C. and 12.68z like this.