Forums Latest Members

Our Own OF Omega Vintage DataBase

1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 14, 2014

Why dont we have our own vintage data base? Most of us here have very unique/authentic/clean pieces with so much of information floating around why dont we try to put it organized.
    If we can stream line the data around here ... Over the time we will have a better database than omega archives.

If required I would be happy to volunteer my time in any way to help the cause :thumbsup:

Edited Nov 14, 2014
  2. JohnSteed Nov 14, 2014

William (and perhaps others) have asked for particular details here and there ... Interesting

What exactly was in mind?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2014

This is actually something we've put some thought into, we're doing a lot of dev work on other things at the moment but its possible

4. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 14, 2014

Glad to hear that, hope the data is tagged properly for better and easy search

5. CdnWatchDoc Nov 14, 2014

Marvelous idea! Group contributions would be very interesting to peruse...Happy to contribute if it becomes reality. I have my collections listed on spread sheets already, so should be fairly easy to do.

6. Ferik Nov 15, 2014

I was just thinking that yesterday and created the Omega Watches wiki for it. I find Wikia often hosts the authoritative information for a lot of things I am interested in whether it's literature, video games, science-fiction. Let's all contribute!

http://omega.wikia.com

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

The problem with that is the wikia site is fairly crappy and covered in ads. I'm seeing an animated banner for the "Pirate Fairy" and some others :|

8. Ferik Nov 15, 2014

AdBlock is your friend. We could also setup a Wikimedia site of our own?

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 15, 2014

Why not in wikipedia? While there are Flightmaster and Speedmaster entry, Vintage Omega has not existed yet.

10. Ferik Nov 15, 2014

I think we want a specialized wiki.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

Honestly I think a wiki is a pretty bad idea for something like that

12. Ferik Nov 15, 2014

And I am of the exactly opposite opinion

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

Wikis are designed for long form informative articles that are linked to other associated articles, they work really well in that sense but really badly in most others especially when you have thousands of non-interconnected short form entries in it (omega vintage DB currently holds over 2000 entries, even though it isn't complete and ignores many subreferences by metal, all the US, UK, French and South American production watches and all the modern watches).

It works for the history of Russian Submarines but the combination of a time consuming entry and maintenance method, no decent sorting methods, poor quality search and an inability to ensure accuracy makes it of little use for much else.

14. Ferik Nov 15, 2014

If the goal is to have thousands of short form articles, wikis are not the right tool, I agree. I also want nothing to do with contributing to thousands of small articles on our watches. It's useless for anything but a list of references. Might as well share a google doc if that's the case.

I thought we would want an informative and collaborative encyclopedia of all omega references, not just a list of references and descriptions.

I had envisioned something like the article about the 600 on ploprof.com but for all known Omega references.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

Trouble is even for Seamaster, the OVDB has 500 entries and I'd say if you went through all the missing ones you'd be close to a thousand just for Seamaster and people will be looking for information on actual references not just the general model line. Sometimes its actually rather shocking just how many different watches Omega made.

16. lando Nov 15, 2014

That's a fantastic idea! I would contribute for sure.

What I would prefer to see, was a DB within OF.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

There's actually quite a lot coming in the next few months, actually a couple of things coming in days but then a lot more in coming months. Its going to be an interesting time.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 15, 2014

I hope the group feature could come out,too. Then we really have a true social media platform for watch lovers.

JohnSteed likes this.
  19. JohnSteed Jun 27, 2015

Any update?

20. Pvt-Public Jun 28, 2015

I only have 2 Omegas but will give any info I can.