Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2017

I just got to watch this and its a brilliant story, not about the sterile Ron Dennis era of McLaren but of its Kiwi founder and the British guys that kept it going, if you watched and enjoyed Senna and are a fan of motor racing or car history, you should definitely try to see it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5031332/

Albe100, ChrisN, Foo2rama and 3 others like this.
  2. Dogmann May 31, 2017

Hi dsio,
    I have also just watched it over the weekend and agree if anyone loves motor sports and seeing the spirit of true racers this really is a must watch film as it really is very well done IMHO. Spoiler alert some of it really is quite sad to watch.

Marc

Edited Jun 1, 2017
    dsio likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2017

It really does make me happy to see the orange back, along with the racing Kiwi bird on the new McLarens (even if they're not exactly reliable yet) in honour of the man and the team's New Zealand roots. Back in the 90s and 2000s when I was a kid watching F1 with my grandfather I remember viewing the West-McLaren-Mercedes cars as the bad guys, and Michael and his Ferrari as the good guys, 15-20 years later and with better understanding of the history I'm a devoted McLaren fan mainly because of everything that happened prior to Ron Dennis taking over.

Foo2rama and Uniqez like this.
  4. shishy www.hpmor.com May 31, 2017

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. When I was growing up in the 90s I also used to watch F1 and loved Michael and distinctly remember everyone thinking of McLaren as the bad guys haha. I always had a sweet spot for McLaren though, I just loved their cars more for some reason... even though I always rooted for Michael.

I thoroughly enjoyed this documentary and learned a lot - in my mind it is in equal footing with the Senna one (which I regard very highly).

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2017

Its weird how it has that effect on you as a little kid, I'd be at the news agent or supermarket with my parents and get really excited whenever I saw Marlboro cigarettes behind the counter or an ad for them and say "LOOK THATS MICHAEL's BRAND". I've still never smoked a cigarette in my life but its a good thing they banned the advertising from F1, it sure worked on me when I was little.

Also the reason I like the old Kiwi logo so much more than the current McLaren logo... its still basically a modified cigarette advertisement.

[​IMG]

6. italy1861 May 31, 2017

I actually loved the rivalry between Prost and Senna and the battles they had as team mates during the 88-89 season. The McLaren/Honda was a potent combination.

shishy likes this.
  7. italy1861 May 31, 2017

Michael doing what he does best:

neilfrancis likes this.