Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2013

Note - not sure if we have many hockey fans here, but hope if you are not familiar with the game, this gives you an idea....

So, had tickets to game 5 of the OHL western division championships last night, so my wife and I spent some time at the rink. On the blue line, 3rd row back of the glass - good seats, and the place was packed with over 9000 fans. London Knights are the home team, taking their 3-1 lead into game 5 against the Plymouth (Michigan) Whalers.

London went up 4 to 0 in the first 2 periods, then Plymouth came back to tie it in the 3rd. Overtime lasted all of 20 seconds with former NHL player Tie Domi's son Max getting the winner for the Knights on a nice pass from behind the net.

Here is some footage I shot - big file to upload so not for those with slow connections!

Note that I didn't get the winning goal live, but caught it on the monitor at the end - nice play indeed!

And at one point you can hear what else - the Hockey Song in the background. Here's a link to the song if you are not familiar:

RIP Stompin Tom...:(

Anyway now the Knights go on to the OHL final, and hopefully the Memorial Cup.

Cheers, Al

2. ulackfocus Apr 27, 2013

Wait a sec - are you saying Domi's son isn't a goon? His dad was one of the most irritating trash talkers in the league. Only Matthew Barnaby was worse, but at least Domi could back up his mouth with his fists.

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 27, 2013

The Albanian Aggressor was certainly entertaining for a middleweight, we had Tony Twist here in St. Louey that I consider the modern heavyweight champ. We drop the puck against the 'Hawks in 20 mins. trying for round 1 home ice.
    Al, thanks for the feed.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2013

He scored 2 goals in this game, including the game and series winner. Saw another game back in November where he also had 2 goals, and one was also a winner in OT. He can skate, and he can score. Never saw him drop the gloves, but based on his size (short and small, not nearly as beefy as his dad) I don't think he's goon material.

The goons are not as prevalent as they once were at this level of hockey. Only one fight in this game, and it was a short one with a lot of shoving and not too many punches thrown. I think this will "trickle up" the leagues over time as these guys move on...the game is changing.

Cheers, Al

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2013

I think he still holds records with the Leafs for penalty minutes in a single season, and maybe overall too.

So after 9 long years the Leafs are in the playoffs. Dare I say "Go Leafs Go!"????

I might actually watch some this year....

6. pitpro Likes the game. May 3, 2013

His dad could play too-
    When he and Probie went at it, it was classic.
    I swear they both had a twinkle in their eyes and a grin on their faces
    when they lined up for a face off knowing it was "on" soon as the puck
    dropped. I actually think they liked each other and looked forward
    to their tangles.
    Tony Twist was bad ass, most of the tough guys wanted no part of him.
    They knew-

7. ulackfocus May 3, 2013

My favorite Domi memory is when he was put out against Lindros. Lindros was going to the bench at the end of a short shift when Domi skated by and whacked him on the ass with the blade of his stick and taunted him. Lindros turned around and went after Domi. The only better one on one brawl involving a Flyer during the Lindros era was when Craig McTavish (who was old by hockey standards) bent a young goon on the NY Rangers over the boards into his own bench and pummeled him after the kid called out McTavish. McTavish had a pretty good tangle with Keith Jones too when Jones played for the Capitals.

8. pitpro Likes the game. May 3, 2013