Forums Latest Members

Oris Watches.....thoughts?!?!

1. lightingall2 Dec 10, 2013

what do you guys think of these watches? i was looking at one today the store....they look pretty nice for the price point. anybody own one or have an opinion on them?

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 10, 2013

It would be great if you put the pictures of your aforementioned watches.
    In general Oris is a respectable brand, which consistently only use mechanical movement. They have interesting Diver, Pilot and Chrono lines.
    In the past they rely heavily on ETA movement, but recently they have to switch to Sellita. I notice the price difference between ETA edition and Sellita edition is quite significant.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 10, 2013

They're another brand name that uses outsourced movements to assemble watches with. Nothing wrong with that, or Oris, but they're pretty much the same as any modern Hamilton, Christopher Ward, Ball, Stowa, or other watch using somebody else's calibers.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 11, 2013

I service quite a few Oris watches. I like them because they are not usually simply following the trends, so their case shapes and designs are different than a lot of other similar brands. They are not owned by one of the big conglomerates either, which some view as a positive.

Overall the quality of the cases is good, as are the bracelets and rubber straps.

They do have some drawbacks:

1 - They tend to use proprietary bracelet and strap attachments to the watch heads, so you are sort of stuck buying straps and bracelets from Oris. If you like to use aftermarket straps, I would give them a pass.

2 - They tend to be pretty loose on their accuracy standards. Not a fault of the movements, because I can get them running far better than the factory tends to right out of the box, so to me this says "we can't be bothered" to do some basic adjusting.

3 - They have had issues with some of the blue dialed diver models with the dials fading to a copper colour, and the hands on some of these models corrode, even though the watch is sealed. My guess is that something is off gassing inside the watch - possibly some sort of adhesive used in the production of the dials. Generally my feeling is that the hands they use on most of their watches are rather cheap compared to say hands from an Omega - if course a price difference in the watches would suggest that anyway.

4 - Parts - Oris used to sell parts to independent watchmakers, but they no longer do so. So if you need Oris specific parts, like dials, hands, bezels, crowns, etc. you are pretty much out of luck using your local trusted independent watchmaker, so be prepared for sending to their service center. Service centers for this brand get mixed reviews....just like Omega! ;)

Overall I feel they used to be very good value for the money, but their prices have been creeping up, and for me I would look to other brands now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Als 27, BrianMcKay, Nek and 2 others like this.
  5. Hijak Dec 11, 2013

I have an Oris and I wear it as a daily beater for those times I know my watch will get knocked around, its the BC3 Advanced with day/date. It is a 42mm watch but wears a little big since it is all dial and the 22mm bracelet but not too bad. On the other hand it is very easy to read and the lume is fantastic!:thumbsup:

Oris BC3 Advanced S.S., 5.JPG

I would never buy one of these new...retail on this particular model is $1450 but you can get this new online from $900 to $1100. Purchased mine "preowned" from a watch forum and it was only two or so months old and didn't pay $500 for it. This brand does not seem to hold value well. So I would suggest trolling the watch forums and you will find what you want much cheaper.

Oris BC3 Advanced S.S., 7.JPG

Oris is famous for their exhibition case backs showing the red rotor on a not too impressive movement. Don't get me wrong the watch functions just fine, I just don't see the reason to show this off, other than the red rotor, a very plain movement. They do have a solid, quality feel not flimsy in any way making them a dependable every day rough and tumble watch. Also this is a very comfortable watch on the wrist, really like the bracelet and clasp. Anyway just my two cents.

Oris BC3 Advanced S.S., 8.JPG

Oris BC3 Advanced S.S., 6.JPG

6. hondaman Dec 12, 2013

I have an Oris TT1 and it has been a great watch for the money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. Hijak Dec 12, 2013

I almost purchased the GMT version of this but at 44mm thought it would be too big...after seeing one in person it wears smaller than the 42mm BC3.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 12, 2013

The GMT is nice. I almost purchased myself after an AD offered 40% discount. Wait a week to think over before going back ... and voila it's already gone.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2013

I agree that on the used market is where these watches are the most attractive. I just finished servicing a TT1 exactly like that one - it is a nice watch and sort of makes the point about them having cases that are not the typical shape. The Aquis line though seems to be trending back to more "normal" case styles, so they may be losing this point of difference.

I do find many of their watches big - they have a number at 47 mm, which are too big for my tastes.

I would probably avoid the models with the rubber ring on the rotating dive bezel - not sure how well that will hold up over time, and from what I have seen Oris is not one to stock parts for a specific model for all that long after the watch is discontinued.

Cheers, Al

BrianMcKay likes this.
  10. Hijak Dec 12, 2013

Even my BC3 at 42mm (small for Oris) wears quite big, my triple date Speedmasters at 40mm seems tiny in comparison.

11. alam Dec 12, 2013

I got a TT1 on the used market a few months ago. I'm very happy with it. It wears well, feels solidly made and is very accurate as my daily beater. The point about its unique strap design as mentioned by Archer is a detail to consider if buying used - the rubber straps on these models must be cut to your wrist size and there's little room to adjust from that point on.

[​IMG]

BrianMcKay likes this.