Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneob Feb 28, 2014

1393600635878.jpg This is my zenith automatic S.58 and I was wondering if I was to get it refurbished would it devalue it ? The minute hand has lost its luminescence and there are some miner scratches on the glass face. It was given to me from an aunt who worked in a hospital and she had it left to her in a will from a gent who passed away she gave it to me when I was 16. I'm now 40 so i have it a long time, it has a date window with black on white numerals and has a raised star under the 12 , under the 6 is written Swiss made, I've been thinking about getting it all done and polished but could it possibly devalue it. I know it is valuable but not sure as to how much so any info would be very much appreciated. Sorry bout the quality of the pics. The strap is zenith made and is made of brevete steel inox, also Swiss made so any info on if refurbished would devalue it. How much refurbishment could be, and what kind of value it is would be very much appreciated thanks for looking.
    1393600635878.jpg 1393600751660.jpg 1393600793693.jpg 1393600827450.jpg 1393600857642.jpg

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 28, 2014

First, please punctuate. And capitalize. It makes it much easier for us curmudgeonly types to understand your note.

Second - key question: are you going to wear it or sell it? If sell it, then don't do anything, just sell it. You're right that it is a nice, original piece (near as I can tell from the out of focus pics), and you'll find a lot of interest from collectors. Originality is key if selling it. Anything you do to move it away from originality will impair the value.

If you are going to wear it, then have it serviced, and you won't kill the value if you replace the crystal. REluming the hand is a little tricky - I'd only have it done if the watchmaker can match the shade of lume that exists in the rest of the watch. Anything else will look shabby. As time goes on, I have become more and more tolerant of missing lume, as I am repeatedly disappointed by relume efforts. Tell the watchmaker under no circumstances to polish the case or make any unauthorized substitutions.

3. eugeneob Feb 28, 2014

Thanks Lous
    sorry again about the picture quality, I am on 2 minds as to weather keep the watch or sell it, how much in your esteemed opinion do you think its worth? hope my punctuation is not too bad, haha thank you again for your reply