Forums Latest Members

SOLD Original Seiko 62MAS 6217-8000 First Edition Small Crown

1. bigsom Apr 4, 2018

I intended to keep this watch as I loved the wabi-sabi of the dial, but my collection has drifted towards a few new purchases that necessitate me selling this one.

This is a May 1965 6217-8000 which is the first edition of Seiko's first professional diver. The 6217-8000 was made only during the first few months of production with the small crown. Later in 1965 (not exactly clear but some say as late as Sep or Oct), Seiko moved to the 6217-8001 in which the crown was larger. This was in response to users who found the small crown to be hard to use while having diving gear on. The small crown 6217-8000 is the most rare of the 62MAS family. Please read the description and view the photos carefully.

Dial: This is by far my favorite feature of the watch. Beautiful gray sunburst dial with subtle marker patina around the edges (see macro of the markers). Has that signature texture and subtle green hue of the Promethium-147 based Daini lume that came from the factory. Dial has never been refinished and is original. Please see the UV photos, the seconds hand is running so you can see how the dial appears under UV, then after UV is turned off, then 10 seconds after. It fades quickly over about 15-30s as is it should.

Hands: The hands are original to the watch and there has been loss of lume on the minute hand during service. Spencer Klein can restore this hand with original Pm147 based lume which retains the distinct shade of green, but I've left it for the owner to decide. The lume on the hour and seconds hand is intact and match exactly with the dial. Please see UV photos.

Case: I love the 62MAS case. The shape and the way it sits on the wrist is so classic for 1960s divers. The case measures 37mm x 47mm and those long chunky lugs give the watch nice wrist presence. This case maintains it's lovely circular brushings on the top of the mid-case. The edges are softer as you can see in the close up of the lugs, I don't think this is because of polishing but more everyday wear. Usually when these get polished the evenness of the circular brushing is lost. No large dings or gashes but there are small microscratches as you'd expect for a watch that was worn quite a bit over the past 50 years.

Caseback: Confirms May 1965 production. As is completely typical for the first 18 months of production, where the shallow dolphin logo was used, it has been worn off by wear. The serial number is still well visible.

Bezel: This is an original bezel insert, not an aftermarket replacement. The bezel numbers are in excellent condition and there are scratches throughout the bezel but no large gashes or significant fraying which you see often with these watches. The lume pip is missing.

Crown: Original with all teeth and sharp. Correct small crown signed by Seiko for the 6217-8000.

Movement:
    6217 caliber in good working condition. Cleaned and oiled 3 months ago and keeping time within 30-40s a day. The datewheel gear is missing teeth and the date does skip when advancing the date forward. It skips less when reversing the date by the crown. This happens often with these movements and only effects the QSD feature. The date switches over at midnight starting around 11:30 PM and completing around 12:50 AM which is again typical for this caliber.

Strap: Currently mounted on a 20mm tropic strap which is included.

Price: Offered at 2400 USD shipped in the USA with USPS Priority fully insured. I think this price reflects the the rarity of the 6217-8000 but also takes into account the condition which I've tried to describe as well as I can. If there are any other photos you'd like, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm happy to accept Paypal +3% for members with excellent references, Paypal FF, Venmo, or Bank Wire. I'll only accept returns if the watch you receive is grossly different than the watch I've described.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following three photos are taken with the exact same settings on my SLR. Shutter speed, Aperture, and ISO are all constant so you can see how the dial changes without compensation with exposure. You can use the running seconds hand to see how much time has elapsed between the photos.

With UV on:

[​IMG]

3 seconds after turning off UV:

[​IMG]

10 seconds after turning off UV:

[​IMG]

2. bigsom Apr 5, 2018

Bump for a small crown 62mas!

3. bigsom Apr 6, 2018

Bump, thanks for the offers guys. This one is pretty firm for now.

4. bigsom Apr 7, 2018

Bump!

R3D9 likes this.