Forums Latest Members
  1. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

Hi
    Could someone please help i have an original speedmaster racing i and others believe it to be one of possibly 10 made and being a prototype 1968 watch the issue seems to be that i am being told even tho the movement is a 321 it is not the original movement for this watch at some point it has been swapped out .So the question is where do i now go with this? IMG_2854.JPG

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 19, 2018

Amazing watch. I would probably like to see this at auction at a major house as it will draw some really good offers and you can negotiate the fees down with the house as it should be a special piece drawing in attention

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 19, 2018

Can you share pics of the movement and / or the serial of the movement? Were you told anything else, like why someone believes the movement was swapped out?

Have tried ordering am extract from Omega to see what their records say?

As kringkily says, a high profile auction would probably yield the best results.

Very nice watch. Take your time and be careful with it .

4. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

The auction houses dont want to know as it doesn't have the original movement. The movement in it comes from a sea master i believe. I am in the process of getting an extract but the auction houses just say its not for us. Its so frustrating not to have an avenue to get a value.

5. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

The auction houses have phoned omega and have been told its not the original movement at which point they lose interest.

6. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 19, 2018

Ah, well, a seamaster movement will detract from the value. You can see the value of regular 145.012-67 speedmasters on the speedmaster101 site.

http://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

But given that it may have a transplanted movement, it will be harder to value. Under normal circumstances, a watch like this (parts) would be valued at parts value, but I couldn't tell you want a racing dial would go for.

@Spacefruit is the author of the sp101 site and has a lot of interest in these. Maybe he can share his thoughts.

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 19, 2018

::popcorn::
    ...donor or not, that dial and handset must be worth something...a franken most diehard speed-freaks would love to own...

Caliber561, Kmart, Baz9614 and 3 others like this.
  9. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

So can someone tell me where to take it? Any auction houses other than the main ones ie sotherbys or phillips

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 19, 2018

Well, there's always e-bay, $0.99 no reserve auction will let the market decide what it's worth.

failing that, a private sale might be ok, but the problem is all going to come down to valuation and there's not a lot of data on these to form a strong opinion one way or the other.

other than the big name auction houses (did you try Christie's?), you could try a smaller one. What part of the world are you in?

11. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

Uk

12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 19, 2018

This.

You say that the auction houses have called, but have you?
    If you have a story to share about this watch, that would be awesome.
    I suspect your inbox will be getting messages...

13. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

Yes i have given the details to Phillips they say they cant take it any further. Somlo in London they wont take it any further. It all seems to be that its not original which i understand however i believe it is a rare case/dial etc there are 321 movements for sale on ebay at 4k so i could do that but i dont want to this watch is one of a kind someone somewhere will reconize that its just finding them.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 19, 2018

I meant did you contact the Omega Museum yourself? They might have more info to give you that the auction houses didn’t pass on, for example.

I wouldn’t split that up as parts...

15. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

The watch was my Dads Uncles watch he was a submariner in the navy and when he died it was passed to my Dad we dont know whether he served around or near Switzerland but it would suggest he did as if this is a prototype it would have been sold only there. Everyone is either dead or cant remember.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  16. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

I am waiting for an extract if there is one i know what watch the movement belonged to and have the case reference number.I have no idea how to speak to the omega museum i did send omega an email but received a reply from Swatch which was a waste of time.

17. Psych Mar 19, 2018

Seriously valuable and beautiful watch, whatever the auction houses and dealers tell you. eBay really is the best way for you to find out what the World values it at.

MaiLollo likes this.
  18. bags1971 Mar 19, 2018

I'm surprised auction houses wont touch it

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

I have never sold a watch through ebay however other things i have ie phones etc and it would concern me selling something like this i have been shafted a few times.

20. seangrif Mar 19, 2018

So am i but it all seems to be down to a different movement than the original even tho it is a 321. It has history its been worn and worked its not that its an inferior movement has been put into it. However its not "original"