Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Dec 20, 2014

My 105.003 is currently away for service and we're just finalising what work will be carried out.
    Obviously no case/dial/bezel/hand work but it currently sports it's original crown and pushers. I wanted to leave these on, but in the interests of practicality (in order to make it as water/dust resistant as possible), is it better to replace them with service items and keep the originals.

Thanks

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 20, 2014

I think original pushers are a lower priority for collectors than dial and hands so I would say that if you are going to wear it get them changed.

3. Sherbie Dec 20, 2014

but ask for them to be returned to you, along with all the other parts they have replaced

4. esspee1200 Dec 20, 2014

Change for wearability but it doesn't hurt to ask for original parts back.

5. mozambique Dec 20, 2014

I would keep them as-is. imo it's not a great idea to be wearing a 50yr old watch worth $$ in the shower in any case, even if crown and pushers have been replaced. I treat mine as I would any non-waterproof watch and sleep easy at night :)

6. mozambique Dec 20, 2014

7. Davidt Dec 20, 2014

Cheers fellas. I'm still torn though. The watch will be worn, but equally it isn't a daily wearer and ive no plans to get it anywhere near the water. But, with the best of intentions, you never know if you're going to get caught out somewhere and whether or not the original pushers/crown will end up being something of a liability.

8. mozambique Dec 20, 2014

Then spend $300 and get the NOS crown currently on eBay. Don't sweat it. Either option will not affect the value and new crown and pushers ain't big $ (unless you go the NOS route)

9. alam Dec 20, 2014

If it was my watch, I'd keep the original components in place. For one, I would not take the watch in the water, and secondly, I thought the seals on these parts do most of the water/dust proofing job. Now, watch Al come and set the record straight on water/dust proofing.. :)

10. mozambique Dec 20, 2014

Yes, the seals do maintain the waterproofness, but are not replaceable i.e. must replace crown and pushers to replace seals.

11. alam Dec 20, 2014

Really? That's not a well thought out engineering design. :-(. That's like needing new brake pads and must replace the aluminum wheels too!

12. mozambique Dec 20, 2014

Yes, omega is the Shimano of the watch world (unlike Campagnolo).

At least replacement crowns and pushers ain't big $

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 20, 2014

Is it?

I think it's more like replacing the brake pads along with their backing plates.

I always replace pushers. Yes I keep the originals, but when I see the state of them internally I am glad I don't use them. Pushers are a service item and in order for the watch to work, and seal correctly I believe my watches are better off with new, correct size pushers.

I make no criticism of those who keep the old ones, I just don't do it myself.

Tritium and pascs like this.
  14. sohail Dec 21, 2014

I think it is good idea to replace pushers and keep the orignal ones

15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 21, 2014

The seals in the pushers can be replaced - they are just micro O rings. The ones I have used on my GP Mk II and my Arsa with the Lemania version of the 861 are 1.7mm i.d. x 0.5mm dia. I just measured the most intact one and bought a pack of 10 of that size and the next size down (in terms of hole size) They were £4.35 + 20% VAT per pack from Cousins.

16. Davidt Dec 21, 2014

So the general consensus appears to be to replace pushers. I appreciate that the seals probably can be changed but I think the only option with the watchmakers I'm using is to keep or replace.

Does the same apply to the crown then?

Edited Dec 21, 2014
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2014

Note that some pushers can't be disassembled, so you can't remove the posts and caps to get at the O-rings. They are designed to be replaced as a unit.

The O-rings inside crowns are typically not something that can be replaced.

I have no opinion one way or another on replacing these parts - some of my clients want them replaced and some don't. If you don't replace them, you risk getting the watch wet inside, so not good for the movement, dial, or hands.

Also keep in mind that despite replacing every seal you can possibly replace, the watch still might not have any water resistance. Sometimes the case back or case where the O-ring seats has so much pitting that the case simply won't seal, even with a new O-ring.

Cheers, Al

18. Davidt Dec 21, 2014

Thanks for the input chaps. I've had the case back off and checked with a loupe. There doesn't appear to be any serious pitting so I think I'll go with new pushers and crown to make it as water resistant as possible and get the originals returned.

19. richardew Dec 21, 2014

If you are not getting the case polished they don't have to remove the pushers and crown. They can service the movement and replace the seals and crystal and when reassembled, pressure test the watch. If it passes then you could leave them alone. When I look at a vintage piece, it doesn't matter at all to me if they have been replaced. I take it as a sign that the watch was properly maintained. Besides, if you replace them you get the original ones back, so there is no loss of value changing them. They are most noticeably different on the early watches (2915,2998). I couldn't tell the difference between the original ones on the 105.003 from the modern ones. Spacefruit seems to have the best eye at spotting these.

Davidt and JohnSteed like this.
  20. JohnSteed Dec 21, 2014

Try to keep records, whatever course you take