Forums Latest Members

Original New York Times From 1969 Apollo 11 Landing

1. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2013

Thought you guys might like to see these.

One is the City Edition, the other is the Late City Edition of the New York Times, from July 21st 1969.

I love anything space related, and like most peoples dream when they were a kid was to go in to space. Ive been lucky enough to see a shuttle launch and for those who have also, they will know what i mean when i say the noise is nothing short of ear shattering, for those that never got the chance i feel your pain.

I picked the papers up on the bay, from Miami of all places (where i live) the guy met me in person and explained to me how they were in his possession. It turns out his parents bought both papers on the day that the Lunar Module landed and they have been sat in the loft since that day. They are in great condition with very minor wear, they are full papers so include the finance sections, general news etc.

I think they go well with the Speedy Apollo 11 40th Anniversary that i own as well as my signed Buzz Aldrin Picture (Authenticated) that hangs nicely on my wall. These will be framed in special UV protected glass and wall mounted also.

Omega's version of the paper is in the 4th Shot, these can be found on the Bay too. Last one i saw was £3 all in.

CLICK ON THE IMAGES YOU CAN READ THE FRONT PAGE ;)

photo 1-2.JPG photo 2-2.JPG photo 3.JPG

photo-4.JPG

red crowned, tpatta, watchme and 6 others like this.
  2. Hijak Oct 28, 2013

:cool: Wow, very cool find...I remember watching this on TV when I was eight, everyone gathering around the TV to watch it.:thumbsup:

DLT222 likes this.
  3. cristit Jan 16, 2015

I hope they really stepped on the moon.

4. peatnick Jan 16, 2015

I was also 8, almost 9, and recall being allowed to stay up late or maybe woken up to see the landing on our family's 19" B&W Zenith

One of my earliest memories, along with seeing my mother crying when JFK got shot, didn't understand it at the time but remember her reaction . . .

Sure they did, they were looking for Oswald's accomplice !

cristit likes this.
  5. cristit Jan 16, 2015

And he was wearing a Rolex :)

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 16, 2015

You old git - I was only seven ::bleh::

7. cristit Jan 16, 2015

I wasn't born that time, this is why I am so circumspect.

8. JohnSteed Jan 16, 2015

wow

9. Hijak Jan 16, 2015

You know now that I think about it, I was only seven for the moon landing. My birthday being in September, in 1969 I didn't turn eight until then. so it looks like we're both "old gits.";)

Stewart H likes this.
  10. Pvt-Public Jan 16, 2015

WOW 19" your folks must have been rich, I was 7 and watched it on our 10 or 12" Admiral B&W.

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 17, 2015

Wasn't born yet, but I remember clearly some of the footage...

Unknown.jpeg
    Davidt and watchme like this.