Forums Latest Members
  1. waXology Mar 6, 2017

Hi all, hopefully a quick one. I have a 287 that has had the glass/plexi replaced. However i'm not sure it is correct as now the 'swiss' and outer scale numbers are slightly hard to see due to the edges of the glass. My question is, is there a correct one i should be using? If so can someone advise?

Thanks

2. Diabolik Mar 6, 2017

Unfortunately, most outfits measure the external diameter of a watch glass, and take a guess at profile when identifying a replacement. However, there are tons of watch glasses available with many different profiles. Correctly measuring diameter, height, thickness and profile of existing one will ensure you get a good match. Cousins or Ofrei have a wide selection.

Mazoue and waXology like this.
  3. waXology Mar 6, 2017

Me again, without the old glass to check, has anyone recently gotten a correct sized 287 glass? If so can you advise the size?

Also, is Acrylic v Mineral v Sapphire just down to user preference?

4. Diabolik Mar 6, 2017

You would have to bond a mineral or sapphire as your bezel would not be adequate (sufficiently sturdy) to hold it in place. It would also be difficult to find a sapphire or mineral crystal with a suitable profile.

Advice is to stick to acrylic as it is light, strong, cheaper and easier to replace ...

ps: far more variation/profiles is available in acrylic

Edited Mar 6, 2017
    10H10 likes this.