Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 8, 2012

I am just wondering if this dial is refinished as MOY looks a little off and certain minute markers do not look to be even. Will appreciate any opinions about the listing from you guys. No movement pics at the moment but I have asked the seller for it. Thanks for your attention.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gents-OMEGA...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item4abb90ddb2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ulackfocus Sep 8, 2012

Dial looks okay to me, but wait for other opinions. If the seller knows the caliber and serial number, they had to have the watch open so why no pics of the inside caseback and movement?

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 8, 2012

Thanks Dennis. Had the same thoughts regarding the movement pics. Hope to end the hunt for one of this and move on to others in the wishlist.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 8, 2012

I would personally pass on this - the dial while looks original has a blemish and the case has been polished quite a bit. These are fairly common watches that I would hold out for an excellent example.

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 8, 2012

The dial looks refinished to me

6. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2012

Here, compare:

eBay (167005)
    [​IMG]

Mine (14381; albeit not directly comparable):
    [​IMG]

7. ulackfocus Sep 8, 2012

Wish I had a good straight on shot of my old 168.005 to help.

Hoi, what exactly makes you think it's refinished? If it is, I want to know who did it because they're fantastic.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2012

Not a good reference to compare with in Adams picture. Here is a better one with a 168.005 . There is nothing wrong with the dial on the watch for sale. The blemish looks like it may be just a light reflection. The case has been over zealously polished, as Mike stated and I would wait for a better one.
    C2.jpg

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 8, 2012

Dennis.

To me, the sunburst of the dial from eBay is too strong, too bold comparing to what I've seen. Here's an original sunburst (going all the way to the outside of the chapter ring)

[​IMG]

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2012

Hoi raises a good point as my example of a 168.005 also, like Hoi's 167.005 has the sunburst continuing outside the chapter. However, I have seen many 167.005 with the sunburst stopping after the drop-off and then going circular. I still believe the dial is correct. As Desmond often says, the only way we may be sure here is to remove the dial and look at the back.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 8, 2012

Sorry Hoi, I see nothing wrong with the dial. I think the seller used a flash to take the pictures and the light passing through the crystal (which is likely scratched a bit) caused some shadows on the dial. The picture at this angle shows no white splotches on the dial:

[​IMG]

I took a look at photos of my 167.005 and they show anything from no sunburst at all to extreme luster like the above example under different lighting conditions. IMO, all we are really judging here is the skill of the photographer.

Otherwise, the crystal is correct and crown is correct. I agree with MSN that the case has be overpolished a bit. I wish there was at least one movement picture. In the end, it might be the seller who pays for not putting that in, as he will likely get a little bit less that what he should for this watch.

But that may be someone else's gain...
    gatorcpa

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 8, 2012

I had thought that refinishing is limited to the printing and painting of the dial. Truly rewarding listening to you guys. Guess I should wait out for a better example since the case is overpolished. I did notice that many listings on ebay tend to come with overpolished cases. Really appreciate your thoughts and your generosity in sharing them. Thanks again.:)

MKelley likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 8, 2012

It's not just the listings on eBay. I'd say 90%+ of all watches over 50 years old have been polished like that. MSN and Hoi own most of the remaining 10% :).

Polishing the case was considered part of routine service back then. Watches that have never been polished are likely to need service to the movement.

On this example, I'd ask the seller privately for a movement shot. If the price stays below US$800, go for it.
    gatorcpa

14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 8, 2012

Gents.

I have my own experience with dial refinishing. The hardest thing is the "sunburst", not the font.

Let's look at a Chinese first generation faked dial with it's sunburst

[​IMG]

15. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 8, 2012

Thanks Gator. I have already asked for a movement pic so still waiting for it. I guess most people except collectors would have also asked for a polish during a routine service. I'll see what the seller comes back with. Thanks.

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 8, 2012

Wow! That sunburst finish looks incredibly similar to the one listed. And it's only first gen.