Forums Latest Members
  1. Dave Glass Aug 2, 2017

I have a 168.010 Cal 561 18k Constellation Calendar which is fitted with a crystal sporting a magnifying window over the date (cyclops?). The crystal has an Omega logo at its center. My question: were the cyclops offered as original equipment crystals in 1966? As far as I know, everything is original on this watch, but I wondered about the crystal. (Photo attached) [​IMG]

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 3, 2017

No, the dial was repainted in the past with wrong script. The cyclops is not original, either.

Noddyman likes this.
  3. Noddyman Aug 3, 2017

Yes it's been repainted, the word calendar does not belong on that dial and chronometre should be chronometer.

4. Dave Glass Aug 3, 2017

Thanks for your input.

5. Dave Glass Aug 3, 2017

Thanks for your input.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 3, 2017

It was optional and there are OEM Omega crystals with the magnifier. Is it original? Probably not, but the replacement is correct for the watch.

Now about that dial...:eek:
    gatorcpa

Dave Glass likes this.
  7. Dave Glass Aug 3, 2017

What else can you add about the dial? I am such a rank noob that I have no frame of reference.

8. Dave Glass Aug 3, 2017

Any idea why someone would add the word calendar when it did not belong? Ignorance, attempt to replicate another model? Was the word correct for earlier or later models? I'm not arguing with your assessment, just wondering what might have motivated the incorrect addition of the word. Thanks again

mikechi22 likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 3, 2017

Dials were sometimes "refreshed" in the old days as part of a servicing, especially if they had degraded due to moisture/water ingress.
    The person who did this one may have simply used another similar but not identical watch they had on hand as a reference.

Only the person who did it knows the true answer.

Dave Glass and mikechi22 like this.
  10. Dave Glass Aug 5, 2017

Thanks for your insight. I have owned this watch for almost 20 years but am really ignorant about things which seem to be common knowledge among collectors. Cheers!

11. TexOmega Aug 5, 2017

Enjoy it for another 20 years and pass it to loved one.

If you ask questions on a Omega Collectors Forum be prepared for high scrutiny, and loads of helpful information given willingly.

Dave Glass likes this.