Forums Latest Members

Original 1931 Longines Lindbergh

1. horloge Aug 15, 2015

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had encountered first hand an original 1931 Longines Lindbergh watch and if so, what was it like? I've been fascinated by this watch for some time, ever since reading a book about Charles Lindbergh. I love watches that present a true historical leap in discovery and the watch that Lindbergh designed with Longines truly did that - I mean, it helped him navigate across the Atlantic. I personally think that's a pretty cool piece to add to the collection, even if it did only come out a couple times a year.

Does anyone know anywhere I might locate one of these pieces? I saw a couple on Chrono24 but they were sold and the rest of the Lindbergh watches on their were part of their Heritage collection that they released commemorating the original watch.

Any advice you guys could offer would be great.

Ben

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 15, 2015

These were sold to the public and come up at auction from time to time. I generally stay away from Chrono24, as the prices are ridiculously high and some of the pieces are of questionable originality (not that they aren't in other places).

I presume you mean the version featured in this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/hour-angle-from-1938.10871/

There is another, larger version of the watch. Doesn't have the Hour Angle Bezel. It was featured on Antiques Roadshow a few years ago:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/se...ls/longines-aviators-watch-ca-1938--200906A49

[​IMG]

And here:

http://horologium.com.au/2012/03/08/the-rare-longines-wittnauer-second-setting-watch/

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. michaelmc Aug 16, 2015

These are very rare. The larger size is about 47mm and comes in real silver as well as steel. I stupidly sold mine a while back due to poor information from another collector. You won't find many and the prices have escalated.
    Longines lb.jpg

4. horloge Aug 16, 2015

It's such a stunning watch. I've seen a couple appear at auction but they are all new releases. I desperately want to find one. If you don't mind me asking michaelmc, how much did you pay for yours?

5. michaelmc Aug 16, 2015

I paid very little for mine relative to the market now as had for a while. I sold it as I said :whipped:, bad decision for a bit south of 20K and it sold north of 30K if I remember correctly. Matthew Bain had the only one for sale I have seen in a while on his site. M

6. horloge Aug 16, 2015

They are such fantastic pieces. Do you guys know of any books or sites that I can gather as much info as possible about this watch and later references as this truly is a piece I want to own. At present I know very little about them but am very eager to learn.

Thanks in advance.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 16, 2015