Forums Latest Members

Options for an awesome Grand Seiko purchase in Japan?

1. Riviera Paradise Nov 28, 2016

I am posting here as a slight provocation:)...I have seen many posts ref. JLC on this section of the "high-end" watch forum, even some Nomos posts as well...so why can't Grand Seiko be considered a peer of entry level JLC, from a horological perspective?

What I am looking for are options to purchase in Japan my first Grand Seiko..and I want a quartz watch (yes, I said quartz)...I believe that these are the top high-end quartz watches you can but right now, looking at the overall package of finishing and movement. I was thinking of something very specific to Grand Seiko...perhaps a champagne dial? I am looking for the most outstanding GS "high-end" quartz watch I could buy for my collection.

Would love to hear from the forum on what options I should consider and where I might purchase this watch in Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka...I imagine Tokyo would be the ideal location.

Thanks!

2. TheCaptainOfTech Nov 28, 2016

If your in Tokyo JackRoad is a must. They have a huge selection of GS none the less every other watch brand Komehyo is another good option they are publically traded on the Japanese Stock Exchange and have many different stores. If you are in Osaka go down the main covers shopping street (pretty much every city in Japan has one) there are many small second hand watch shops there. Afterwards in Osaka pass the bridge with the running man and enjoy the food :)

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. NT931 Nov 28, 2016

Komehyo's website can be used with Chrome, which will translate it for you
    http://komehyo.jp/disp/CSfCategoryTop.jsp?dispNo=009001006

I've bought a watch from Moonphase too, good folks,
    http://www.moon-phase.jp/model/index/index/?brand_id=35&other=1
    they might have some high-end quartz Seikos there too.

Bic Camera is another option - friend of mine bought my Seiko Presage urushi chronograph from there recently.
    http://www.biccamera.com.e.lj.hp.transer.com/bc/disp/CSfDispListPage_001.jsp?dispNo=001260

4. Riviera Paradise Nov 28, 2016

Would love to see that Presage urushi chronograph hands on:)

5. NT931 Nov 28, 2016

It's very nice, but a bit thick. That's the downside of Grand Seikos - they're rather thick (well at least the mechanical ones)

6. Riviera Paradise Nov 28, 2016

Thanks for sharing:). I agree on the mechanical / spring drive thickness for the GS range. One of the reasons I am selecting the Quartz model is that they are thinner as well as the reasons cited above. I want to choose a non black dial model to avoid conflict with my Explorer.

7. SeanO Dec 2, 2016

IIRC the only "issue" with quartz GS is that you're restricted to 37mm and 3 hands.

8. Riviera Paradise Dec 3, 2016

9. Riviera Paradise Dec 3, 2016