Forums Latest Members
  1. Moadib Nov 3, 2017

X
    ADCHOICES IDENTIFIED
    Sorry for asking a question as a new member, but hard to know where to start. My interest until now has been in vintage Heuer, but I have a real love of the Speedmaster and have been looking around for an older one - boy there's a lot to learn (which is by no means a complaint, I love this stuff!) :)

I had been looking at the watch below, which is a 145.012-67, but even for me some things seem obvious (like the dial, which looks like a much later replacement). Is there anything else on this that people would point out from the images?

Would appreciate any pointers on what to look for.

Many thanks - and congrats on an incredible forum. Info and atmosphere both seem great!

Speedy1.jpg Speedy2.jpg Speedy3.jpg Speedy4.jpg Speedy5.jpg Speedy6.jpg Speedy7.jpg

2. kreyke Nov 3, 2017

Speedmaster101 is your best friend. :)

Service dial, probably service hands (wrong chrono hand) and service crown.

3. Vintagewtchzilla Nov 3, 2017

hi the seller says dial and hands changed during last service in 2002. ...

4. repoman Nov 3, 2017

replacement dial and hands are a knockout for me, takes away all the attraction of going vintage. To answer your question, the crown, pushers, and bracelet also look like replacements.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 3, 2017

Sourcing a replacement dial and hands that look good are most likely going to cost more then the discount for modern replacement parts on this piece.

This watch if prices right is perfect for someone that already has the dial and hands. Case and bracelet look good.

6. Moadib Nov 3, 2017

Thanks - I've been spending rather a lot of time on Speedmaster101!

My thoughts are similar with repoman - much of the enjoyment of vintage is the fact that the piece is vintage. I can live with some minor parts being changed, but case, movement, dial, hands - it's hard to feel it's actually a vintage watch.

I had picked up on the dial being changed, but how to identify the crown, pushers and bracelet? I noted the link 633 on the bracelet - from wrong model? It seemed Omega were quite varied with parts around that time, so wondered if that was surely wrong.

7. Vintagewtchzilla Nov 3, 2017

if you look at the downside of the lugs u see the case is also more than slightly polished

8. medsia324 Nov 3, 2017

You might also consider the MoonWatch Only book, second edition. It has been an invaluable resource for me. A high quality well organized hard bound book with excellent pictures. The second edition was published this year.

9. uwsearch Nov 3, 2017

Bezel is fantastic !!

10. calientegolfer1 Nov 4, 2017

Your watch definitely has a service dial. However, it is the wrong service dial for this 145.012-67 reference. It should have the metal Omega symbol appliqué not the painted Omega symbol as seen on your dial. The main handset is wrong too. The hands should be the thinner sword type hands, not the thicker blunt-end hour and minute hands like your replacements. The Chrono-seconds hand should also be the tear-drop end and not the blunt-end seconds hand. The chrono pushers are replacements as is the crown and the bracelet plus end links, too. An original bracelet would be the 1039 with 516 endlinks. Your consolation is that you have a very desirable and beautiful 321 movement in your original case AND a very pristine DON bezel.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2017

Yes but there are domed non AML 321 service dials. And all service hands will be modern production.

12. calientegolfer1 Nov 4, 2017

I have a recently serviced 145.012-67 SP, serviced at Omega Switzerland 2016, with the correct stepped dial with the metal appliqué, correct handset to the year reference all with superluminova. SINCE YOUR WATCH WAS SERVICED BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER, DO YOU HAVE A RECEIPT STATING WHO AND WHERE IT WAS SERVICED. THAT COULD ANSWER YOUR "INCORRECT" SERVICE PARTS QUESTION.

13. Davidt Nov 4, 2017

Yes, Omega uses AML service dials now for 321's, but painted logo dials were used in the past, so your comment that it is incorrect isn't true.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. maxbelg Nov 4, 2017

For the later 145.012s the flat end chrono hand could be OK and one could also look for a 116/575 bracelet which is period-correct and stronger than the 1039, but they're difficult to source.