1. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 8, 2012

3. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

Yes, I did notice:)

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

That one is a no go.:thumbsdown:

5. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Yes. First off, one has to decide what they want to collect, what they can collect, and what they can afford at any given time. Some can afford to scour the earth for the best pristine brand new condition vintage watches. That's great and heck, who wouldn't. But it is just as OK to collect decent or good condition watches that have signs of being worn. You can't be hung-up on every little ding or scratch. Go for nice honest ( read that non franken, original dials and parts, when possible) watches. Here is an example. The following photos are of the same watch I purchased. First is the before shot and the second is the after I cleaned it up shot.
    So you have to look for correctness first , perfection last. When they both come together that's great, but learn to recognize the diamond in the rough.

Alcan2a.jpg 168.005z.jpg

kyle L, MKelley and alam like this.
  7. alam Aug 8, 2012

Wow, that's a huge & notable difference. Did you do the work? What were the techniques involved to spruce it up like that?

8. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

I absolutely agree. I've used that philosophy, obtaining a few vintage Rolexes. None are extravagant, they just show enough patina to add character with their age. Before joining this forum, I had no knowledge or experience with the Omega brand. I joined to learn and gain sufficient knowledge to maybe acquire one or two reasonably priced examples of the brand. As with other vintage brands, your philosophy here rings true. Besides, the gang of Omega folks lurking the forum seem like a good bunch to hang with. Thanks the advice, assisting me to learn and tolerating my over abundance of ebay finds. I think I'll be sticking around...:D

9. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

That's an amazing transformation for a watch:thumbsup:

10. ulackfocus Aug 8, 2012

First thing to look for is the marks that show on the face - are they on the dial or crystal? Actually, it's easy to do if you don't know already.... simply see if the mark stays on the same place when the photograph angles change. If it does, it's the dial. If it's changed places on the dial from a different angle it's on the crystal.

Tips will become more advanced as the watches you chase get more expensive.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

For another example of what can be done by the amateur, see this post.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/lecoultre-memovox-before-and-after.1032/

I've since done another sanding and repolishing of the crystal, and it looks even better now.

The tools I use are a Blitz cloth ($5 on eBay), Q-tips, toothpicks, an old T-shirt, a nail buffing bar ($2 at Sally's Beauty Supply), Brasso and Polywatch. Maybe a $12 investment, tops.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

12. ulackfocus Aug 8, 2012

The tools I use are my checkbook and a watchmaker. :thumbsup::p Cash is even better!

MKelley likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Yeah, I can write a check with the best of them. Sometimes, there's a satisfaction in doing things for yourself.

Mr. Fisherman, doesn't the fish taste better when you catch it and cook it at home? :)
    gatorcpa

14. alam Aug 8, 2012

assuming they ship the watch back and in working condition! :D

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Tools:
    watch screwdrivers, toothpick, papertowels, windex, cape cod cloth, watch polishing cloth, tweezers, Rodico putty, mineral spirits, silicone grease, polywatch, Crystal press, watch case knife, watch case removal tool, rags and lots of elbow grease so get the economy box

Assess watch
    Open case
    Remove the movement and place in secure container.

Clean case, all areas and crevasses.
    Buff all areas as needed with Cape Cod or dry watch/jewelry cloth. Takes a while, but use restraint. You want it to be polished, but not look polished :cautious:
    Re-clean case with solvent or Windex, rinse with hot water and dry.
    Polywatch or replace crystal (replace if cracked)
    lube case gasket with silicone or replace ( still lube)

Clean dial markers and hands with semi moist make-up tip pads or q-tips that you have removed 2/3 of the cotton, use great care and magnification. examine and remove any cotton fibers
    Clean dial face of particles with watch putty as needed (Rodico)
    Re assemble and hand buff with dry watch cloth.

That is the simple version.

P.S. Dennis knows how to do all of this, his checkbook is just glued to his hands. :p

16. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 8, 2012

Steve, any oil ?

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

This is just to clean case,

I'm not sure what you mean? Are you talking about the movement??

18. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 8, 2012

Everytime a "dirty" watch comes into my possession, I give it a clean and some oil on the movement at the same time.

gatorcpa and MKelley like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

We are just talking about case cleaning here, I don't want to advise people to oil a watch if they don't know what they are doing.

As for me yes, but that is a separate operation for me and I either disassemble, clean and service the whole movement or send it out to be done. (I hate complications, even date wheels :D )

20. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Here was one of my favorites projects, a crystal cleaning and a light polishing makes a big difference! Can't do anything about the dial, but I like it like that. :p It even came with box and papers. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]