Forums Latest Members

Opinions Sought On This Ug Super Polerouter

1. hondaman May 19, 2013

I have been looking at this watch for the past month and keep coming back to it. I like the look but do not know enough about the brand to decide if the price being ask is in line. I would like some opinions from the forum regarding the overall condition and potential upkeep on the UG cal 69 movement in general.

http://watchestobuy.com/images/UGSupers.JPG

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 19, 2013

Cool watch. Here's my Polerouter Super:

[​IMG]

I haven't seen one with a gray dial before, or with hands like that, but it looks good. I have no idea whether the hands are correct or not.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 19, 2013

Well, its got the correct Super case and crown, but I too have no idea whether the hands and dial are correct. There does seem to be a little paint loss around the "U" logo which is not all that unusual in grey and blue dials of the era from many brands. The cal. 69 is one of the mainstay UG movements, so no more or less troublesome than any of the others to service. Because no longer in production, sometimes maintenance requires that other movements be cannibalized. Fortunately there are plenty about.

4. hondaman May 19, 2013

What keeps drawing me to this watch is the dial color and the red second hand. I havent seen the combo before so I am still curious if they are correct. Are microtor harder to service or just different?

5. SeanO May 19, 2013

just different. the earliest micro-rotors were deficient a number of jewels necessary for the best operation. the later versions (20 jewels) plus are pretty much no different to any other automatics of a similar quality/jewel count.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 21, 2013

The grey dial is certainly original, in my view (much more detailed photos are available on the seller's site). The only question would be the second hand, but I'm inclined to believe that it is original as well.

7. ETime May 24, 2013

UG did sometimes use red second hands on other watches of the same era, so I also think it is probably original.