Forums Latest Members
  1. snunez Jul 30, 2019

Gents,

I bought this watch about two years ago. It was one of my first purchases and it arrived back from the watchmaker a few months ago, after taking nine months to service. In this part of the world, there are not too many options, and they are all expensive. Seeking feedback here to see how much of a newb tax I paid. Okay, I know, a good condition black dial should have been a warning, but I was two years less knowledgeable than I am now. Appreciate an honest critique of my assessment.

Black dial Seamaster reference 166.002. Dial appears mostly legitimate to my eye, with one exception: the Omega logo does not appear centered on the vertical cross hairs. The lume also seems to be quite good for a watch this old (circa 1966 according to the serial number) Anyone spot any other originality issues?

IMG_0451.JPG

The case, whilst polished in the past, does not appear overly polished. I've tried to photo graph the lugs at an angle that highlights the edges:

IMG_0456.JPG

The case back sea monster likewise shows signs of light polishing (to my eye anyway). The background of the medallion still has a bit of texture to it, that may not come out in the photograph.

IMG_0453.JPG

I think the crown is original. It is signed. I had a devil of a time getting the iPhone to focus on the crown and not the case. Anyone know a trick to this?

IMG_0530.JPG

The strap is a generic leather 18mm replacement strap that came with the watch. It has a signed Omega buckle:

IMG_0265.JPG

The movement seemed relatively clean. This photo is from the watchmaker prior to servicing:

YAUP8326.JPG

So now, with servicing, it is keeping excellent time, and would probably make a good vintage daily wearer. What is the collective wisdom on the authenticity & collectible value of the piece? All positive or negative comments welcome, that's how we learn.

DaveK likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 30, 2019

When it comes to Omega, anything is possible, but I'm more accustomed to seeing the cross-hair lines going right up to the markers.

DaveK likes this.
  3. seekingseaquest Jul 30, 2019

That, and the crosshair is very off center at the Omega logo. And I don’t get the dashes on each side of “T Swiss Made T”. Lastly, it looks to have been re-lumed on dial and hands.

4. CJpickup57 Jul 30, 2019

They forgot 4 o'clock as well. That, or it is floating around in there somewhere.

5. snunez Jul 31, 2019

Good catch on that one. I didn't notice. It was present on the 'before' servicing photos, so I guess it will be going back in. This will be a good test of the watchmakers customer service.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 31, 2019

Second hand is too short... should go to the markers.

Tom

7. Shabbaz Jul 31, 2019

Hmm. I have some strong doubts about this dial. Of course it's a black dial so alarmbells are ringing. I dont like the color of the lume. Seems to be relumed. You can find a lot of seamasters Genève variants on the web with short crosshair but not the regular seamaster. Why do the crosshair lines dont touch the 12, 3 and 6 marker? That seems unusual. I lean to a redial. I would not buy it becaus of the doubts. But with omega, like OF use to say, you never could be sure. Did you find similar 166.002's with the short crosshair on the web?

8. snunez Jul 31, 2019

I haven't found too many black-dialed anything from Omega with cross hairs.

I agree with the lume, although I'd take a relume over a repainted dial. The thing is the rest of the dial seems okay. For example the minute markers. And, looking closely, the crosshairs do seem to continue on through the numbers and extend to the outer edge of the dial, past the 12, 3, 6 and 9 markers.

9. Shabbaz Jul 31, 2019

I dont have the watch in hand but the crosshair seems to stop right before the markers. You see this with the Genève variant but I never saw this with the regular SM.

Screenshot_20190731-130218_Chrome.jpg
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. Shabbaz Jul 31, 2019

But I'm happy to be corrected of course!::popcorn::

11. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2019

I don't think there's any need for that :)

I don't think the watch looks bad, but I am pretty sure it is a redial. The relume, the heavily polished case, fake buckle and ready-for-eBay black dial makes it strongly suspect to my eyes without even starting to assess the dial quality.

efauser, BenBagbag and Shabbaz like this.
  12. snunez Jul 31, 2019

Have a look at the areas marked here. They go between the very edge of the dial and the hour markers. The minute markers do not. Seems odd that they would be there. Perhaps the cross hairs were applied before the hour markers? Or, perhaps the Genève variant is the same way but unnoticed?

cross-hairs-to-edge.png

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 31, 2019

Not sure what you paid but whatever it was, you paid for a movement (which has now been serviced), a decent, but polished, case and a poorly redone dial. Wear it; no one but WIS' will know it's a redial.

14. Shabbaz Jul 31, 2019

Watch idiot savant?

efauser likes this.
  15. Shabbaz Jul 31, 2019

Screenshot_20190731-191203_Chrome.jpg
    jeppehh and Edward53 like this.
  16. snunez Jul 31, 2019

That's about what I figured when I started this thread. Hopefully the other three newbie purchases were a bit better. Note to newbies: do not have an itchy trigger finger, even (especially) if it has a black dial. Thanks all. I guess it could have been a worse redial...

Shabbaz and efauser like this.