Forums Latest Members
  1. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 16, 2015

I'm considering my first Cal.321 Speedmaster ;-) It was obviously serviced in the past and a more modern chrono sweep and non logo crystal was installed. I plan to wear the watch and I would have it serviced before I do. Thus installing the more correct replacement parts is not a problem. The problem is the only correct style chrono sweep I can find appear to be painted with Luminova, not Tritium as originally used. What would you recommend? Thanx, Miki

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 16, 2015

I would replace the wrong sweep with a less wrong sweep. This is based on my thinking you have a flat-end sweep now
    [​IMG]
    and you're replacing it with this
    [​IMG]
    See how helpful pictures are? :)
    If you become obsessive like many of us, or if you're already there, be on the lookout for a vintage hand set to replace your tritium one. And I have no idea how hard those are to source...

3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 16, 2015

Thank you and "Yes" to all the above

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 16, 2015

Just how crazy, and I'm arguably crazy, would it be the Otto Frei sweep and have it sent somewhere to be stripped and repainted with Tritium?
    If not all that crazy then where would I send it?

5. woodwkr2 Feb 16, 2015

Radioactive luminous material was a safety hazard for watchmakers. That's one of the reasons that we've moved away from it to less hazardous substances like SuperLuminova. Even if you could source your own Tritium, good luck finding a watchmaker who is willing to risk inhaling radioactive dust so that your watch hands have the right "patina".

See also: The Radium Girls

6. Davidt Feb 16, 2015

id be tempted to buy a few and get experimenting.

Ten mins at 120deg for a start;)

7. dc_in_sf Feb 16, 2015

What is the reference? A flat ended sweep may actually be original.

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 17, 2015

The straight-end sweep hand could possibly be original, but only on a very late 321. Early (transitional) 861s have 321 parts, so why not the other way 'round? No way to know for sure thought, and most would prefer the spear-tip version. So, I get why you'd want to do this.

No need to redo it with tritium. Using the right pigment mix, it is possible to match the rest of the lume/hands on your watch using modern materials, non-luminous if you prefer. If the cost/benefit is there for you, I say go for it.

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 17, 2015

The watch in play is a 105.012-66 with an Extract stating that it was manufactured June 16, 1967. Your guess is as good as mine as what style chrono sweep it actually left Omega. However someone during service somewhere obviously installed a new style sweep and non Omega logo replacement crystal.

Only because these newer style replacement parts bother me am I interested in replacing them. I intend to have it serviced before I put it on my wrist. Thus having these parts installed is no big deal.

Now that I know why no more Tritium, I'm certainly not opposed to having an old style new Luminova chrono sweep re-painted. Now I need to know who or where?

10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 17, 2015

I have been in contact with Kent at Everestwatchworks.com So far he's been most cooperative. Has anyone had any experience with these folks?