Forums Latest Members
  1. Matt-C Aug 20, 2014

Hi title says it all, liking the idea of a birth year watch and as part of my learning curve would value options on these, cost, condition any experience of seller if known.

Really not too sure what I should be looking for on vintage items. Which models would be a good to keep a look out for as a first vintage item. Would prefer manual to auto really.

Thanks

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371096548267Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291221162638Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. diggin5 Aug 20, 2014

Matt,

Both are nice if you like a good smaller sized dress watch. I don't know a whole lot about Omegas to be honest as I'm new to them, but I do know about mechanical watches in general. I wouldn't purchase that automatic in your second link. The condition of the inside of the case and that rotor are indicative of either water damage, poor storage, bad service, or all three. Certainly not the condition expected from a $600 watch, especially an Omega.

If you like a good dress watch, the older Omega Constellation and Seamaster De Ville are very nice, and come in a lot of options (date, day/date, stainless, gold, gold bezel, etc.).

-Max

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 20, 2014

Agree with Diggin and would say that both are overpriced. Also, what is the attraction of these later entry-level Geneves as a birth watch? On the scale of things, they sit pretty well at the bottom of desirable vintage watches. There are other better options depending on your birth year, which, judging by the 35 mill serial on the first watch, must be around 1972.

Perhaps a Geneve Dynamic 2, a good Seamaster Cosmic, a late Seamaster Compressor or even a a nice chunky Memomatic (to truly invoke the 70s) might work.

Good luck in your search

Desmond