Forums Latest Members
  1. Willem023 Sep 15, 2015

Hi All,

Considering to buy this Speedmaster.

I have to admit: it would be a step in the dark for me: I do know some things about 50’s golden Seamasters and Constellations, but the diversity within the Speedmaster’s range in bracelets, end links, hands, ‘T’ yes/no, casebacks, etc is mindblowing. And leaves me very much in the dark, although I have studied @Spacefruit 's blog.
    And I have the 'this-might-well-be-too-good-to-be-true' bug ::screwloose::
    So, would appreciate your help very much :thumbsup: !

Stated as 1991, cal 861, 145.022. That adds up. To my untrained eye:
    - case is crisp, although on the backside a bit worn. Not too much. Bezel is (too??) crisp and caseback seems in order too
    - the 1450 bracelet (right?) and 808 end links seem to add up
    - lume is OK too: bit yellow. As to be expected, and matching the hands, which seem OK too (right?)
    - having said that, I am not sure about the dial and font: the ‘S’ stands out in my opinion, although I have seen similar ones too. there is no patina visible in te pics. Dubious?
    - cristal looks good.
    - pushers right size?
    I will ask the seller (trusted party, as far as I know) for a close-up of the movement and movement number too, to date it accurately. Watch is serviced recently.
    Overall: what do you think??

Thanks in advance; much appreciated!

Willem

Schermafbeelding 2015-09-15 om 15.42.03.png Schermafbeelding 2015-09-15 om 15.42.32.png Schermafbeelding 2015-09-15 om 15.42.56.png Schermafbeelding 2015-09-15 om 15.43.10.png Schermafbeelding 2015-09-15 om 15.43.23.png

2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 15, 2015

Looks alright to me if perhaps a little polished. Bezel is probably replaced along with the hands but you do see bezels in great condition, so it could be original. I'm by no means a Speedy authority tough, so perhaps others can chime in.

Willem023 likes this.
  3. italy1861 Sep 15, 2015

Andy K and Willem023 like this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 15, 2015

I think it looks nice, bezel is correct with tall letters DN90.

It's all down to price. Because this is not considered special or rare. Or vintage. It's a second hand watch. A nice one yes, but not vintage value - yet.

If I had the choice I would by a pre 78 and service it properly.

5. Willem023 Sep 16, 2015

Thanks @Spacefruit and others for the comment! Actually I do agree on the 'vintage and special' debate, owing a nearly mint '52 golden Seamaster 352RG myself. At the same time, I am in the current circumstance that I simply do not have access to decent watches nor a fine watchmaker, even let alone some kind of postal service to deliver parts and all that. :whistling: But there is always a choice.
    Lot's to think about then. 'Second hand'..... mmmmm never thought of it that way.
    Might go for the pre '78 :cool:

Edited Sep 16, 2015
  6. tomo Sep 16, 2015

Looks nice and that bracelet makes it pretty sweet if the price is right.

7. Dgercp Sep 16, 2015

Lovely piece in great condition. But, would like to echo what spacefruit said.
    I had the same watch as this one and soon became very restless for a cal 321.
    I traded up to a 2998 in decent shape and even though it cost 3-4 times more than the 145-022, I am a zillion times happier. Sorry to be anecdotal but you seem to be seriously into vintage.

8. Willem023 Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I am actually seriously-ish into vintage, and I do not want to re-start the discussion on 'what is vintage and what not'. Let alone 'any vintage is basically second hand' (even if handed down from your uncle :confused: ), apart from te ones one has had in its own possession for a trillion years.
    Having said that, there are quite a few watches around that just are 'good, nice and decent' (and yes: 'second hand') without me having to wait for years on for the right hands to pop up or the crown or bezel to be replaced. Must have something to do also with the fact that I am based in Africa and there is/will be no possibility of really 'restoring' a vintage piece. No means of regular postal/package services to start with, over here.

So I allow myself to sometimes just be a bit greedy, be it in the middle-of-the-road-segment, knowing that in time I might be able to replace these pieces by examples that need more time and TLC from a reputated watchmaker. Heck, I even left my too pristine AT 8500 and previously mentioned Seamster 352RG in a vault back home, afraid it would be damaged too much over here ::screwloose:: Or stolen...... :whistling::whistling:
    My brother 'takes care' (uhuh, I suppose he wears them, rightly so)...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    So, that is the origin of my interest in these nice-but-nothing-special Speedmasters.....
    Cheers, Willem

9. Willem023 Sep 17, 2015

Nearly forgot, and I know it is in general not considered 'good taste' to do, but nonetheless.... what is a reasonable price for this watch? I think I might negotiate it down to approx EUR 2400.
    Think most of you will think this is too high too...::confused2::

10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 17, 2015

Not a bad price IMO. I could see myself paying that.

11. watchtinker Sep 17, 2015

Let's be serious: technically speaking is probably one of the best Speedmasters produced ever. Excellent bracelet (1450), excellent caliber (it should be a yellow 861 with one of the longest power reserve and with the old type glucydur balance wheel), excellent classic case (waterproof at its best), reference 145.022 (one of the last) and nice old style dial (tritium, for the lovers of it).

Willem023 and Spacefruit like this.
  12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 17, 2015

True, as a Speedmaster watch, this sounds like a good example if you're looking for a Speedmaster to wear.
    If you're looking for a Speedmaster to be excited about, and share with your Speedy comrades...well...there's not a whole lot to be excited about except the general respect for a fine watch.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    And the price seems okay.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 17, 2015

+1
    If this is your first speedie, I say it's it's good one to get. Price seems reasonable and you don't have to worry much about service costs (relative to 321s anyway).

Why haven't you bought it yet? ;)

14. timeismoney Sep 17, 2015

It is a reasonable price, especially with that bracelet imho. +1 on the go for it camp. :thumbsup:

::popcorn::

15. Willem023 Sep 18, 2015

Thanks. For the coming years, I can live with that, knowing that it is just a fine beater. Still have pics of my other ones to remember...:coffee:

Uhhmmm, funds? Seriously, I always want to know where I am at, so I am counting my Shillings as we speak :oops:

Thanks guys, much appreciated!!

Cheers
    Willem

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 18, 2015

Okay, good. You're normal. Do lots of homework and practice buying with insufficient funds.
    I have created some monumental credit bills with this method, ;)
    Keep up the search!

17. Willem023 Sep 18, 2015

Thanks! I like a fine glass of wine too, now and then :D

18. stan876 Sep 24, 2015

So did you take the watch ?
    I might be interested otherwise ::shy::

19. Willem023 Sep 25, 2015

Still negotiating on price, I am afraid....

20. Willem023 Sep 27, 2015

He is still asking EUR 3100 for it: way too high IMHO :taunt: although it has been serviced