Forums Latest Members

Opinions or Advice for new member.

1. Travis Watkins Jul 1, 2018

Hello, I am new here and wanted to reach out to this community to solicit advice or perhaps hear some opinions. Before I get to the point I thought I would share a bit if anyone would care to offer some insight.

I am turning forty am able to retire about the same time. I thought it would be a good occasion to buy a new watch, more particular an automatic Omega. I bought an Omega Seamaster pro in 2002 and rarely take it off. Swimming, shower, sleep, sports, ect. I don’t remember why I bought this brand or particular model but like it just as much now as I did then and plan to stick with Omega.

I am not going to start a watch collection and I have wore my Seamaster with everything from swim shorts to suits. I personally feel like I don’t need a watch for different activities/ occasions. My son and I are active, we play sports, swim a lot, and snorkel quite a bit as well. The main reason I am buying a new watch is I want an automatic and to have something I will pass to my son that he remembers me wearing.

So please, any opinions or advice you have to offer is welcome. Here is what I am currently considering.

Seamaster 300 - I like every thing about this watch, but I feel like I wouldn’t have a reason to keep my old watch. I just don’t think I would wear my old one any more.

Seamaster 300M- There isn’t anything I don’t like about this one but I think I would get rid of my old one as there is definitely no reason to have both.

Railmaster trilogy- This, to me, is a perfect watch as far as design and aesthetics. The only problem, and I think its fairly large one is the lack of water resistance. If it wasn’t for that I would have decided on this one.

Sppedmaster pro- I love the history more that the watch. I would never use its features, lack of water resistance, I don’t think I would like the mechanical function, and wouldn’t buy the plastic one.

image1.png
  2. Bushido Jul 1, 2018

Hello and welcome to the forums!

A couple of options which first come to mind given your statements above:

1) Railmaster (non-trilogy)- Similar although not exact aesthetics to the trilogy, with METAS movement and 150m water resistance.
    2) Aqua Terra- METAS movement, options on strap, bracelet, and rubber, as well as 150m water resistance.

Both of these lines have different dial options to choose from. Have you already looked at and ruled these out?

3. AnotherDon Jul 1, 2018

I think your question is a bit of a conumdrum. How can I diversify without being different?

If you have enough budget, you might consider a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms or an IWC Aquatimer. Either of these lines of watches would give you the water integrity you seem to demand without duplicating the look of the Seamaster you currently own.

Or you might consider an Omega Seamaster Bond Commander Limited Edition. This doesn't seem to be a very popular watch around these parts, but it would allow you stick with the brand you're familiar with, Omega, and give you a different look with its white dial and markers. Many seem to put off by the "007" as the counter-balance on the end of the sweep second hand.

That's about all I can come up with to help. :)

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 1, 2018

Easy one.

You need a PO
    image.jpeg
    Take the next step up if the others are similar to what you already have

rbob99 and Travis Watkins like this.
  5. Donn Chambers Jul 1, 2018

It’s not clear from your post whether you want to keep your old watch or replace it with something upgraded. If you want to replace and since you obviously like your old one, get a new Seamaster 300m, either the new one announced at Basel or the current one. That will be similar to the one you already have and are happy with.

If you want to keep your old one for occasional wear, then I suggest the Planet Ocean. It’s enough different from your old Bond Seamaster that you won’t feel it is too similar, and wearing the old one would be a nice change of pace occasionally.

Travis Watkins likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 1, 2018

Keep Seamaster get a 145.022-78 birth year speedy. Great heirloom to pass down and neat for yourself. Many of us have marked a 40th by getting one. Manual wind is not a chore, esp when you rotate watches and have to set them on a regular basis.

The 300mc is also a stunning piece, as an option to a PO.

7. Travis Watkins Jul 1, 2018

Thanks!

I got to try both of these on at the boutique in Waikiki. I’m not a fan of the Railmaster because the dial. I did like the Aqua Tera but not as much as the other Seamasters.

8. Travis Watkins Jul 1, 2018

Thanks for your input. I will take a look at your recommendations.

I’m not a fan of Bond and didn’t realize the connection until sometime after.

9. ras47 Jul 1, 2018

I was a 10+ year Seamaster user. Seamasters exclusively. I'm not a collector either. I buy a watch, wear it for a couple years, and then get whatever new has grabbed my fancy. My last Seamaster was my one and only watch for over 5 years.

I never considered a Speedmaster in all that time, figuring the Seamaster was a better choice for me. Then Omega released the co-axial line with cases up to 44.25mm (I have 7 3/4" wrists) and a date window. Bam!! I'm something of a Space Program geek, and I love the clean lines of the Speedy. Natural fit. And the Speedmaster line has something for everybody, from just under 39mm cases up to 45mm (X-33). Highly recommended.

Enlight193.jpg

10. Travis Watkins Jul 1, 2018

Thanks for the ideas. I do like the 300 quite a bit. I do have a question how would I find a birth year? Search on Chrono24?

Sorry just started doing some research prior to my current query.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 1, 2018

The Speedmaster model in 1978 and 1979 which I assume is your birth year, is the 145.022-78 a somewhat common reference it was produced from 78-early 1980. You can use ilovemyspeedmaster.com to check it’s approx production date if you have at least most of its serial number. Members here are more then willing to advise on price and correctness of any pieces you find.

This is my ghosted bezel 145.022-76 40th bday present to myself.
    6D375671-06D9-49FA-B37B-A2E12FDF8DBD.jpeg

12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 1, 2018

As you seem quite happy with the diver look, perhaps something in the same general area. The reissued Longines Legend diver is a really good looking watch (with or without the date). I'd advise seeing if you can try one on somewhere as the lugs are fairly long, but for those who can pull it off, it's a cracking watch for the money. There is some discussion and more pictures here.

longines-legend-diver-1.jpg

Foo2rama and Travis Watkins like this.
  13. Travis Watkins Jul 1, 2018

Thanks a lot! I will definitely be looking into this option. I never thought about a birth year model and is appealing.

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 1, 2018

I would source a speedmaster that is the birth year of your son. This gives you a couple advantages, first, you are not buying a watch for yourself, but for your son. This opens the door to buy yourself a nice watch. I know you said you do not plan to collect, but let us all be honest, there is only one chap that I am aware of that meets that criteria here on OF. So for the third watch I think the Aqua Terra would complement your growing watch collection.

Seamaster 300 Quartz
    Speedmaster Birth Year
    Aqua Terra ( maybe the pearl or blue dial versions)

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 1, 2018

Have a good long think. Do you want a new watch that one day you will hand down to your son or an older watch from your or your son's birth year? Are you happy to buy and wear a watch that will probably show some wear and tear from previous owner(s) or might you prefer to buy new and then know that any signs of wear and tear that accumulate are all the result of your ownership?

There is no one right answer for everyone - what matters is you choose the right answer for you ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. Travis Watkins Sep 13, 2018

Decided on the Railmaster 57. Got it new for 4,800 USD.

Been wearing it for a week now and love it.

17. BLAUGRANA Sep 13, 2018

That was my choice on your list. If you're worried about water resistance just take it off. Congratulations and enjoy!

If you decide you want another piece, one with more water resistance, I would recommend the Seamaster 300m Master Coaxial. Grey market pricing is as low as $3.5k. For me it's one of the best value buys of any brand and it'd fit right in with your Railmaster.