Forums Latest Members

Opinions on Waltham 25 jewel automatic “pie pan”

1. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 11, 2019

Hi all

This Waltham 25 jewel automatic is at a local auction, but no pre-viewing is possible. Only two crappy photos are available. The dial is intriguing, it seems to have a pie pan style shape to it, so that has me interested.

Downside, no movement shots, no caseback shots, just what we have here.

There may be a scratch or crack on the crystal by 12 & 1, and possibly a scratch on the dial (draw a line between 7 and the centre of the watch). The minute hand looks bent in the first photo, but that I think is a trick of the lighting - in the second photo it looks fine. A new crown might be needed.

What I am wondering is, does anyone know about this model, and is interesting enough to take a gamble on for say $50 CDN?

Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

71CA5F0E-049E-46B0-BDB5-57CF5DC3260A.jpeg A0AFAD4B-6706-4B0C-9B69-2E16E059C9D7.jpeg

2. Canuck Aug 11, 2019

I have seen these late 50s early 60s Swiss Waltham’s with Felsa 4000 caliber movements in them. This movement (if that is in fact what it is), was made in the millions, and can be found with countless dial names. They were a reliable full rotor movement, related to the earlier Felsa 690 series of movements. I can probably dig up a few watches with Felsa 4000 movements in them if you are interested. Gratis, but you pay the postage. $50.00? Hardly worth the cost of repairing it. And in spite of the Waltham name, there won’t be a line up of watch collectors wanting to buy it. Oh, and it might be a version of the popular Eta automatic of the era. But same goes.

6182F0AF-9611-4E92-BC58-D54C1E008BA3.jpeg

Als 27 likes this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 11, 2019

Super knowledgeable and generous as always, thank you Canuck!

Building a watch collection can be a really fun journey. On the down side, I still occasionally want a watch because “it exists” and because it is within geographic or budgetary reach. Through OF, I am becoming more discerning, and learning ::book:: what would be a QUALITY purchase. Above all, l appreciate being able to ask here first :thumbsup:

PM sent presently on the offer!!!

connieseamaster likes this.