Forums Latest Members

Opinions on Version of 7750?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 10, 2013

Not sure where to post this, so here goes...

I am missing my wobbly whirring 7750. I've had and appreciated many makes and styles. I want to obtain an example. Here's what I'm considering: IWC Flieger 3717 or PD 3702, Tudor Big Block, or some undetermined Omega?

Which would you choose? Did I leave out some other high-end maker's interpretation? Or would you opt for a lower profile example like Hamilton or...

Reasons for choice appreciated. I'm looking for that "ya know, he/she is right!" moment that may push me over the fence.

Many thanks!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2013

I'd consider the Omega 2298.80 Seamaster Pro, it was Chuck Maddox's favourite example of the ETA 7750, and one of the toughest watches to ever carry it.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 10, 2013

That model does look tough. Has a lot to offer. Considering it was Chuck's fav, well, 'nuff said!

Any idea to what degree (if any) Omega modified the 7750? I'm under the impression IWC modified their version the most, but part of that could be advertising hype.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2013

Omega used a heavier rotor from memory and decorated it a bit, its based on the chronometer grade version of that movement, and if the wobble is a characteristic you don't mind, the light weight of the titanium with the heavy Omega rotor makes it obvious what's spinning within.

5. smithrjd Sep 11, 2013

Another good one is the earlier Breitling Chronomat series. I know, it is not an Omega...

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 12, 2013

Yes, the Omega forum is likely slanted toward recommending Omega. I asked the same question months ago in the Rolex forum, and they recommended the Tudor. Shock!

I'm leaning toward IWC, but I'd still like to hear from others (thanks for the Breitling suggestion).

7. ulackfocus Sep 12, 2013

You can never go wrong with an IWC. I'd agree with the Breitling suggestion too, but that may be personal bias.

Have you looked at Fortis and Sinn?

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 12, 2013

Don't Eberhard use the 7750 as their base movement as well? They have made some nice looking pieces.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 12, 2013

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 12, 2013

I have one, and I love it. The movement is modified in the 104 to remove the chronograph parts, and the reason for this is to use the constant seconds at 9 o'clock, in an automatic watch. They have also redesigned the dial side components so the calendar parts are not what you typically find in a 7750.

Good choice if you don't need the chronograph.

Personally if I was looking for an unusual implementation of the 7750, I would be looking seriously at this:

http://mih-watch.ch/

7750 with an annual calendar function...

Cheers, Al

11. Mothra Sep 12, 2013

I can never decide if that one (obviously, hugely impressive horology) looks cool or just looks like a swatch....

12. Interstatetime Sep 12, 2013

If you can find one the previous generation IWC Spitfires...

[​IMG]

Buy it. I don't own mine anymore but it was a favorite. It is pretty big but still has the classic watch look. The bracelet pictured is one I put on so I would not put wear and tear on the original. It can be found both on a strap or bracelet.

JohnCote

13. deerworrier Sep 26, 2013

I have an I.W.C Ingy with a very modified 7750 and love it in the "Genta" case.

[​IMG]
    It doesn't wobble as such, with the cage inside it kinda vibrates on the wrist. scared the bejesus out of my good lady when she wore it for a while:)