Forums Latest Members

Opinions on Tudor Ranger please

1. gophishin Jan 5, 2016

I know even saying the words "Tudor Ranger" brings up very murky and well jaded thoughts, but I have found one that I believe to be honest and real. The seller, just a guy that doesn't have a history selling watches, and based on his vague description doesn't really know what to look for, has been very responsive and has emailed me all of the information I could have asked for once I coached him through where to look.

It's Tudor Oyster Ranger, which would indicate it's the manual wind, no date model
    Ref 90020, which would be accurate for that model and dates it to the 80s - which is actually good because it's when the Ranger got its own ref, versus sharing one with the Oyster and Oyster Prince models.
    Serial is 981xxx, which supports this as being from 1983
    Oyster bracelet with 361 end links and 7835 on the bracelet with 19 below that.
    Claims to be owned by the seller's Dad and he might even have the original box somewhere.

So... is this just a really good scammer (if you're going to scam being nice and thorough isn't a bad way to go) or did I actually find something here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cfw Jan 6, 2016

It appears to be legit, most "fake" Rangers are Red and the shield logo looks like it squeezed, this how ever doesnt. How much does he want for it? If ur not going to move on it ask him if he wants to swap me fir a 1500 Rolex :)

gophishin likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 6, 2016

That's a nice looking watch! I've been looking at some explorers lately, but I really like that snake head hand with that dial.

Sorry I can't help with your questions.. but I may have to add one of these to the list.

4. novina Jan 6, 2016

I do not much about this watch, but for the seller to answer your questions and get appropriate answers would make one think that the watch is presently in his company. Either he has it or his google-foo is very strong.

gophishin likes this.
  5. gophishin Jan 6, 2016

I stumbled across it on eBay, when I started a long string of messages with the seller gathering information as I went deep down the rabbit hole of research. The Ranger's are definitely a crazy piece, with a lot of drama, and more information on what's wrong than what's right. The seller seems innocent and didn't seem to be a WIS, so I sent him a sub $1k offer just to see if could make a score. He did consider it, but then it shot up overnight, so it looks like others figured out what I did too. He even messaged me again this morning thanking me for my interest.

Anyways, I do believe it to be legit, and if I were to seek out one in the future, this Ref. certainly seems to be a bit safer since it wasn't shared with the standard Oyster models. If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, here's the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181982275853?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. LawBrk Jan 7, 2016

Did he send you any photos of the movement? Been looking at these as I like the Explorer but my pocket doesn't.

cfw likes this.
  7. gophishin Jan 7, 2016

No movement pics, he didn't have any tools, and was not a watch guy, so I left it at that. For as responsive as he was with everything else I wasn't too worried. He said it belonged to his Father and didn't think it had ever been serviced.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 7, 2016

Ask for a photo with a time like 7:42 on a daily newspaper or a piece of paper with a word you pick and that will show he has the watch...

9. gophishin Jan 7, 2016

I'm out of the running on this one - I was interested when I thought I could get it for less than $1k, which he was considering... and then it shot up overnight. It's on eBay, so it seems reasonably safe that he has it given he was able to give me ref and serials that added up, but if any of you are seriously considering, it, you should reach out to him, he's a really nice guy named Sal.

10. LawBrk Jan 7, 2016

I reached out about this as it is located in my city! I asked for a photo of the movement or meet at a watch shop for a professional to open it. He replied that he cannot open the back and no reply concerning my suggestion to meet at a place of his convenience. Maybe he's not comfortable with meeting?

11. gophishin Jan 7, 2016

Hmmm, he did seem very honest and responsive when I exchanged 8 or so messages with him. Maybe he missed your second question, or maybe he's unsure about a face to face? He did mention he had never sold anything on eBay before, as his feedback indicates, so maybe he's just unsure, even though it's common within the watch community.

(I don't have any affiliation with the buyer or watch, so be sure to do your due diligence.)

LawBrk likes this.
  12. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jan 10, 2016

It's certainly tempting, but I'm having a hard time finding another example of "Tudor Oyster" on the dial. All the legitimate ones that I can find seem to be in the "Tudor Oyster Prince." I also feel like the numerals are a little puffy compared to similar examples.

13. gophishin Jan 10, 2016

I had trouble with that too, but I did find it was a legit model with the lack of "prince" indicating its hand wound, so that all adds us. The puffy lume is a tough call though.

14. GuiltunderGlass Jan 10, 2016

Hi all, first post here, found this thread looking for info on this particular watch. Seems Im in the same boat as some others here, puffy lume is disconcerting, price is getting up there, and Im not 100% convinced. No box or papers on top of it. First world problems.

15. gophishin Feb 7, 2019

I am resurrecting the dead here and curious if someone on OF bought this watch. It has been haunting me for the last 3 years, and if you purchased it or know who did, I would love to be given the opportunity to buy now or in the future.

16. mappleluna Feb 8, 2019

Hi. Yep sir, this one's mine. But not really considering selling it sorry. Beautiful + +condition and fully original so haaaard to find

EdtheAussie likes this.
  17. EdtheAussie Feb 8, 2019

To comment on a resurrected thread, Tudor oyster just means manual wind I believe - the oyster prince is the automatic, equivalent to oyster perpetual in rolexes.

From what I can tell the manual winde rangers are quite rare, would love to see more photos @mappleluna :)

My 2 rangers say hi!

IMG_20190207_0757441.jpg

vibe, Horai551, Alphasports and 2 others like this.
  18. gophishin Feb 8, 2019

Absolutely correct, @EdtheAussie I just wish I was as confident in that knowledge and what to look for at the time of this original post. You've got two in great condition as well, thanks for sharing.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  19. mappleluna Feb 8, 2019

IMG_20160902_172944.jpg IMG_0247.JPG IMG_20160809_171634.jpg

GuiltunderGlass and EdtheAussie like this.
  20. starcraft Feb 16, 2019

Just meet at a local watch dealer and have them authenticate it (at your expense), if it isnt legit then at his. I didn't catch the asking price?