Forums Latest Members

Opinions on this Seamsater Automatic in Private Watch Sales

1. x9to5x Oct 17, 2016

I'm looking for a simlpe and elegant vintage Omega Seamaster as a dress watch.

Can I ask for your opinion on the one cristit is offering? Any reason not to buy it?
    I have done a lot of reading here on the forums, wus and the german uhrforum, but I'm still not sure. I find it really difficult, finding information on the ref. 155.003 (is this right?).

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-vintage.40872/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your help is highly appreciated! (and please excuse my bad english... it's not my first language)

2. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2016

If it were 155.003, there wouldn't be a second hand. It's probably 165.003, which would correctly match (1 = man's watch, 6 = automatic winding center seconds, 5 = water resistant) the watch's features.

By the way, this is a question that could have easily been asked of the seller privately instead of questioning his watch in public.

BartH and Alpha like this.
  3. Waltesefalcon Oct 17, 2016

It looks like a very nice Seamaster, if you like it go for it. I agree with ulackfocus about questioning the seller in private though instead of starting a public thread though.

4. alam Oct 17, 2016

I completely agree and in my mind, your suggestion is the common sense approach, but perhaps the OP read Steve's previous post stating is Ok to inquiry about watches in the FS section...

Jwit, dennisthemenace and efauser like this.
  5. x9to5x Oct 17, 2016

I'm sorry!
    That was my understanding. I could have easily asked the seller (and that's what I did in the meantime), but I thought it was ok to ask for an opinion.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2016

Yes but that was in response to inappropriate comments in a sales thread, not meant to exclude private inquiries.

7. Edward53 Oct 17, 2016

Nothing looks wrong with it and the price is about right if you take into account that it's just been serviced, plus he has saved a future buyer the time and trouble of getting it done themselves.

Some watches are slow to sell on here, not because there is anything wrong with the watch or the price but because most collectors who want one like it have already got one.

x9to5x likes this.
  8. grizzlycanuck Oct 17, 2016

I thinks its a 166.003, I have two similar to this one.

Cheers

x9to5x, alam and Pvt-Public like this.
  9. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2016

I think you're correct - the last 6 would make it water resistant with calendar. Nice catch. :thumbsup:

grizzlycanuck likes this.
  10. cristit Oct 19, 2016

It is 166.003:
    IMG_5205.JPG

11. gostang9 Oct 19, 2016

I guess I read the OP's questions differently than most. To me it seemed an open request for feedback from people about this watch. To me a forum is helpful in getting feedback from impartial observers who have nothing to gain or lose from their feedback.

the
    I guess the dilemma comes in where if someone were to post a reply with negative comments, it would then lead to this thread somewhat "instigating" someone else to possibly "trash a sale thread".

I've read through many threads/posts where someone posts a listing from another site (ebay, etc) asking for knowledgeable members here to give feedback. Sometimes the comments are unanimously positive or negative, but sometimes the OP gets great feedback both pro and con.

I have never posted a watch on this site, nor do I have any plans to sell one in the future. But if I ever did, I wouldn't take comments like the OP's opening post here as 'trashing' my watch and I could understand him wanting unbiased feedback from other members. As I'd have an interest in only giving him the positives, I'd be rather unlikely to point out potential negatives like 'watch is priced a bit optimistically, or 'there are often better condition watches available if you wait'. I realize these are delicate questions from the perspective of a forum member, but if honest feedback from others cannot be asked for doesn't it somewhat put a protective barrier around these sales posts?

I would think in most cases, by being trusted forum members with >200 posts who post good quality watches, honestly and at reasonable prices, generally feedback would come back reassuringly positive and would tend to increase the likelihood of a sale... no?

x9to5x and Jwit like this.