Forums Latest Members
  1. b16a2nr Jan 6, 2018

I could use some advice from the guru's on this vintage Seamaster. Primarily its authenticity as I haven't seen this dial design before, but also its overall condition. The dial seems to have some blemishes or imperfections that I can't tell if they were touched up or not. Thanks!~

Sellers notes:
    Very rare Tow-tone Original Omega seamaster center second watch from 1950’s. Ref. 2792-7SC
    Original beautiful two-tone crosshair patina Dial, Hand wound Cal 283. wind , runs strong and keeping good time.
    CASE: Fine stainless steel snap back , Unpolished case – Measured a full size approx 36 mm across not including crown. 43 mm Lug to lug ,
    The Stainless steel case in very good condition. No dent , crack either.
    In good Original condition ,Original dial signed, Movement , case and crown. Please see pictures for closer look.

s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. ConElPueblo Jan 6, 2018

Original, but very patinated.

It's a bit of a stretch calling this "very rare"... However, had it not been this patinated, the combination of a good case, original crown, crosshair dial with arabic numerals at 12, 3, 6 and 9 AND "Seamaster" branding would have made for a very attractive combo.

3. b16a2nr Jan 6, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply. By "patinated"do you mean intentionally aged look? Or just not aged well but original. To an extent, I like a patina on vintage watches. It's just difficult for me to gauge what the dial color originally was as I haven't seen this face design before.

4. ConElPueblo Jan 6, 2018

It started out as a regular two-tone silver dial. Thousands if not millions of them out there. There is (most likely!) nothing artificial about the patination, can't see why there should be...

Here are three of my own (well, at least one of them is still with me...) Omegas with two-tone silver dials that have aged differently.

[​IMG]

5. fjf Jan 6, 2018

Patina is just the ageing of the dial. Some call it "dial damage". Some don't. It depends on whether you like it or not. Mine:

260352797_cf8867fc-e62a-4efa-bbf7-4ba7cda2d4bc.jpg

6. cristos71 Jan 6, 2018

Here's a very similar cased 2791 with sub seconds I sold recently, compare the "unpolished case" of the seller's with this one. Quite a difference IMO. The corroded dial and hands are also in a terrible state.....what's all that build up around the 7. 8 and 9 o' clock markers? Maybe a semi-successful dial clean, I don't know, but to me not attractive anyway. What's the asking price?

101.JPG

118.JPG

120.JPG

7. heavenscloud Jan 7, 2018

As ConElPueblo said, "very rare" is a stretch. In general, ignore the words "very rare," "fine," etc... as these are just BS marketing terms to entrap the uninitiated. The dial and hands are in rough shape (tip of seconds hand broke off). I would pass for those reasons.