Forums Latest Members
  1. jinson Jan 26, 2013

Esteemed experts,

I'm not bidding on this watch but wanted to test the knowledge I've gained from your expert evaluations on this particular Omega.

- I thought the Cal 344 were mainly on non Seamasters? Checking the OVB Ref 2576 is a Seamaster with Cal 344.
    - Looking at the dial, the S in Seamaster looks odd, and the Automatic comes after Seamaster and not before?
    - And the Swiss made contains only the Swiss?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200880840318?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Your thoughts?

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 26, 2013

Looks like an original dial to me. Variation in print is more pronounced on the textured dials due to the nature of the surface. Swiss instead of swiss made suggests a US market watch. No problem with seeing a cal. 344 in a seamaster case.

3. Sherbie Jan 27, 2013

Hip folks

I,ve seen scripts

omega
    automatic
    seamaster

and

omega
    seamaster
    automatic

both used on these bumper seamasters.

Does anyone know which is genuine, or were both styles used?

cheers, paul

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

[​IMG]

MSN is correct, this is a US market watch. Note the "OXG" near the regulator and "Unadjusted" on the rotor. As such, there could be variations between the dial on these in comparison to other Omegas with the same case reference.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. tomvox1 Jan 28, 2013

Good info and typical of the Swiss watch industry in the 50s & 60s trying to save tariffs by using fewer jewels and/or adjustments when exporting to the North American market.
    It's also interesting that Omega goes out of their way to note that cal. 344 is COSC...but maybe not all of theme were, such as this unadjusted version? ::confused2::
    Best,
    T.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Sometimes you have to take what Omega says on that site with a "grain of salt". I think that some of the cal. 344's may have been submitted to COSC, but not all of them. I've seen the same caption regarding the cal. 351 on some case references.

With respect to the "Unadjusted" marking on US market watches, sometimes less can mean more.

http://www.bortolot.com/watches/Page_3.html

The whole article is a pretty good read, too.
    gatorcpa

7. tomvox1 Jan 28, 2013

Agreed about the (big) grain of salt, although massive kudos to Omega for making such a database publicly available and consistently striving to improve it (unlike some other marques I could mention ;)).

That unadjusted point is an interesting one, although even if true there is no way at all to know if a movement was adjusted or not if they are not going to say so!

I suppose adjustments on a 50-year-old watch are pretty irrelevant today in any case, although it is a nice thing to see when you open up the case, especially if it's a bit of a surprise.

[​IMG]

:)
    All the best,
    Tom