Forums Latest Members
  1. Tomas Eriksson Aug 10, 2015

I can respect that you replace the plexi, parts of the clasp and movement parts to make it functional, but this? And then sell of the parts?! But the least one should do is keep the parts so it is possible to restore it, but this guy didn't :(

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Aug 10, 2015

It is not a restored watch, but rather a new version using an older movement. This is very similar to a "Watchco" SM300. I suggest you look this up and see the different points of opinion on the topic, which has been discussed extensively over the years.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 11, 2015

I admit I didn't watch the whole video...but if he started with a proper vintage SM300, and replaced everything but the movement, case clamps and stem, then you could technically call it a "restored" watch. Most Watchco watches use movements scavenged from other styles of watches, so if you got an extract from Omega it would call out another watch like a DeVille or something (whatever the movement was in originally), where this one would say it was a SM300.

But to a collector this is just a Watchco build since it has very little remaining of the original watch. Not something I would do, but it is his watch, so he can do what he likes with it...

Cheers, Al

4. the future Aug 11, 2015

His choices seem bizarre to me. He's interested in having an original Seamaster 300 movement, but he wants a new case, dial and hands... To me that's completely backwards, but to each his own. Too bad he felt the need to dismantle an original watch though.

5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Aug 11, 2015

Boring video. The watch is looking good but it has no charm what so ever.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 11, 2015

Boring video, yes. No charm, no. Not everyone wants to own an ugly watch, no matter how honestly it got ugly. :)

Tom

Togri v. 2.0 and gemini4 like this.
  7. Tempusfugitus Aug 12, 2015

I think he wanted to create a new-looking SM300 and that he has achieved, plus he has the added benefit that his movement is genuine SM300 and that is the only serial this watch would have had anyway. He says he's never going to sell so he's not interested in value. I like it a lot, but might have kept the old parts.

The points he makes about the SM300 vs the Milsub are absolutely right, in my mind.

wsfarrell likes this.
  8. msp1518 Aug 15, 2015

I know the owner of this watch and he is a a stand-up guy and then some. He didn't want a Watchco SM300 for fear of what may happen with Omega down the road. But he wanted a watch that looked new and could be taken for a swim. Hence his decision to buy a beat up vintage and do this type of restoration.Personally I think it came out tops. It's stunning.

9. DON Aug 15, 2015

I see nothing wrong with what he did. He wanted a clean looking watch which looks like it just came out of the factory.

Sale of the old parts pays for the new parts and lowers his overall restoration cot

DON