Opinions on this pre-owned Planet Ocean 232.30.42

Not enough detail in the video/pic to say whether the watch is real or not. There are so many super-replicas now of modern Omegas, we probably couldn’t even give you a solid answer with good pics. It’s probably fine.

I’m more worried about the seller. Never heard of them, and there’s pretty scant info available about them online. You’d think someone would have reviewed them at the Rolexforum or WatchUSeek, etc. And why would a watch from a US seller be in Japan?—is it a consignment situation? Would you need to pay import duties?

For a transaction of this amount, I’d err on the side of a slam-dunk trusted seller. Omega is a mass-producing SWATCH brand and POs are for sale everywhere. This isn’t an unobtainable Patek or Journe or something. You’ve got plenty of options, so why even risk it?

…is my opinion, anyway.

Like 1
Way, way overpriced, and production of this reference stopped several years before 2021. The current median asking price for this reference on Chrono24 is about $US 4,400

Like 1
I forgot to mention they offered it for $5200.
I think the reason it’s higher than most is it’s supposed to be unworn.

I’ve found a few reviews for the seller, but it does seem less than you’d expect for a site that’s been around as long as they have.

Thanks!

Yeah everyone has their own threshold, but too many red flags here for me to be comfortable. Maybe monitor the places you know you can trust. I’m assuming you’re in the US (since you posted a US-based site)?

Crown And Caliber/Hodinkee
DavidSW
OCWatchGuy
European Watch Company
Nashville Watch
Bob’s Watches
Tropical Watch
HQ Milton
Watchbox
Manfredi
Tourneau/Boucherer

There are some others too—I’m still waking up here.

I’ve had good experiences with Capetown Diamond and Swiss Watch Expo, as well, but they both have some mixed reviews.

I’d steer clear of Chrono24, eBay and Craigslist.

One of these places will have the watch you want in the near future, I’m confident. The peace of mind is worth the wait.

Like 3
why would you stay clear of chrono 24? personal experience or reputation? i've been following a few watches on the site lately.

why would you stay clear of chrono 24? personal experience or reputation? i've been following a few watches on the site lately.

For the same reason I'd avoid eBay or Craigslist: plenty of legitimate sellers with listings on all those sites, but also a lot of scams, and their recourse isn't the best. I've bought from eBay and C24 without issues; I've also had serious problems with both sites---thankfully not huge dollar amounts. Anyone can list on those sites--the vetting is poor. A major trusted seller, like the ones I listed: you know you'll be ok---they authenticate every watch, and they live and die by their reputations for selling legitimate, quality watches. If they make a mistake, they're going to resolve it. You might end up paying slightly more for this peace of mind, but I think it's worth it.

Another thing about C24---many many of their listings are bogus, for some references nearly or actually all of them are. It's there in the fine print, which you have to read (I'd say) before clicking buy: many listings will say things like "Item needs to be procured" (here's one, for example, literally the first hit I got when I visited their site). So you click buy, you submit payment, and then your money is tied up and you have no watch until the seller manages to find one for you, if they ever do. Maybe it's not technically a scam, but it sure seems dishonest to me. If you're going to roll the dice on C24, be sure the listing says "Item is in stock" and they include several real photos of an actual watch in their possession. That will increase the odds of you actually getting a watch.

Like 2
yikes. i didn't realize that C24 was that sketchy. Thanks!

It’s a neutral platform, I suppose. Some perfectly trustworthy sellers there too. You just have to do your homework, and it generally feels a lot riskier than going with a trusted seller with a physical store, a BBB rating, and a long-standing reputation.

Oh, right here: SwissWatchExpo. Again, I've had fine dealings with them and many others have too---their reputation overall is solid. But they do have one mark against them that I'm aware of, and it's documented here. This was four years ago, and to my knowledge it's the only big blemish on their record. I would buy from them with confidence, and have indeed done so without issue. But others may have different advice.

$4200, box no papers (but the papers don't matter, as none of these references are still covered by warranty anyway).

https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watc...-ocean-steel-mens-watch-23230422101001-52380/

For the same reason I'd avoid eBay or Craigslist: plenty of legitimate sellers with listings on all those sites, but also a lot of scams, and their recourse isn't the best. I've bought from eBay and C24 without issues; I've also had serious problems with both sites---thankfully not huge dollar amounts. Anyone can list on those sites--the vetting is poor. A major trusted seller, like the ones I listed: you know you'll be ok---they authenticate every watch, and they live and die by their reputations for selling legitimate, quality watches. If they make a mistake, they're going to resolve it. You might end up paying slightly more for this peace of mind, but I think it's worth it.

Another thing about C24---many many of their listings are bogus, for some references nearly or actually all of them are. It's there in the fine print, which you have to read (I'd say) before clicking buy: many listings will say things like "Item needs to be procured" (here's one, for example, literally the first hit I got when I visited their site). So you click buy, you submit payment, and then your money is tied up and you have no watch until the seller manages to find one for you, if they ever do. Maybe it's not technically a scam, but it sure seems dishonest to me. If you're going to roll the dice on C24, be sure the listing says "Item is in stock" and they include several real photos of an actual watch in their possession. That will increase the odds of you actually getting a watch.
I'd like to personally thank you for your input. For someone more accustomed to purchasing watches than selling them, must to the dismay of my wife, I find it extremely uncomfortable to identify sources that will purchase preowned watches in a reputable manner. Again, thank you.

Like 1
All the sites I listed will purchase preowned watches too—at least many brands. They probably won’t offer as much as you might get from a direct person-to-person sale, since they’re going to turn around and resell and need to make a profit, of course. But they’ll typically cover the cost of fast insured shipping and will remit payment to you pretty quickly. Trade-in values are usually more favorable. Just as I’m willing to pay a slight premium for peace of mind as a buyer, I’m willing to accept slightly less as a seller for the same.

It can be a humbling experience with Omega (as opposed to, say, Rolex): generally, our beloved brand retains value very poorly. A watch you buy for $6500 at retail is worth about $3000 to a preowned dealer as soon as you leave the store. (There are some notable exceptions, but as a rule, it’s why I never buy Omega at retail unless there’s a very steep discount, and most ADs won’t even have that conversation anymore.)

ALSO:
The top banner says USA Luxury Watches, the web page url says luxury watches USA which matches the bottom of the page, but when I google maps the address they have listed: 20w 47th St, Ste. 401, New York, NY, 10036

it comes back as
Sell Rolex & Richard Mille - Big Watch Buyers
in google maps, with this website listed:

https://www.bigwatchbuyers.com/
1(646) 429-9412

And I see no phone number listed on luxury watches USA.

This could be nothing more than an absolutely idiotic business decision to go by two different names and have the same exact address,

OR, it could be a fake business attempt to look legitimate. and We've definitely seen that before, down to edited brick & mortar images to look like a real business.

No thanks.

FWIW, Jomashop---another trusted gray/preowned site---has one in excellent condition, box and papers, for under 5k. Even if you want to factor in the $700 cost of an Omega service, just to get in tip-top condition, it's still a better deal than the one you listed. But I suspect that, with patience, you'll find one in superb shape for under $4500.

https://www.jomashop.com/preowned-1...EywbcnvbLuH_K5NOKmyl_GDW5r8syzJJAfCsT7utbHYk#

but this is DEFINITELY the caveat of Jomashop, expect to pay for an Omega service as Jomashop warranty seems pretty paper tiger.

Like 1
Yeah I don’t put much stock in a gray/preowned dealer’s warranty for modern Omega. Kinda don’t want the dude in the back room messing with a coaxial movement. I usually factor in the cost of a full Omega service, even if I don’t intend to send it in immediately.

Like 1
All the sites I listed will purchase preowned watches too—at least many brands. They probably won’t offer as much as you might get from a direct person-to-person sale, since they’re going to turn around and resell and need to make a profit, of course. But they’ll typically cover the cost of fast insured shipping and will remit payment to you pretty quickly. Trade-in values are usually more favorable. Just as I’m willing to pay a slight premium for peace of mind as a buyer, I’m willing to accept slightly less as a seller for the same.

It can be a humbling experience with Omega (as opposed to, say, Rolex): generally, our beloved brand retains value very poorly. A watch you buy for $6500 at retail is worth about $3000 to a preowned dealer as soon as you leave the store. (There are some notable exceptions, but as a rule, it’s why I never buy Omega at retail unless there’s a very steep discount, and most ADs won’t even have that conversation anymore.)

Thanks for the input. It does seem like Omega is trying to improve that aspect of the brand with the recent price hike.

Like 1