Forums Latest Members

Opinions on this Omega De Ville Prestige Cal 861

1. dogbait Nov 22, 2014

Apparently works perfectly, inner and outer box, papers and manual included. Seller's asking $1350 shipped.

Looking for a daily wearer, don't mind manual wind but just wanted to confirm this would be a good candidate.

$_57.JPG DSCF0316.JPG DSCF0319.JPG DSCF0320.JPG DSCF0325.JPG DSCF0328.JPG DSCF0329.JPG
    Tako Yaki, joso and SeanO like this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 22, 2014

Excellent all round.

On some of these 861 Devilles the bezel is 18kt gold - not sure if it is on this!

I think they are great value - just remember you will spending around a third or more to service.

3. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2014

That would look great on a brown croc

Whats its ref number?

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 22, 2014

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 22, 2014

These are great watches, underrated in my opinion.

I've got the silver dial version on the bracelet and it really feels great on the wrist.

Price seems reasonable, although I have not followed these recently.

6. dogbait Nov 22, 2014

Thanks all, quite taken with the watch.

I've asked the seller if they have a pic of the mechanism. They've offered to try but say they don't have the exact tool to do it. Last thing I want is a nice omega to get dinged up - is a mechanism shot necessary for a watch of this age? Or do you guys think I'm on relatively solid ground going ahead with this deal? (based on the pics only of course).

Thanks.

7. Shem Nov 22, 2014

I'm no vintage expert, but I love the watch! If the others say you can feel comfortable, I say grab it. :) For what it's worth, it looks legit to my (modern Omega) eyes.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 22, 2014

Nothing about it would put me off, looks like a nice clean example.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 23, 2014

I agree, this is very nice daily wearer watch. Certainly under rated and undervalued. I have mine without the bracelet.
    12 Deville Chronograph 861 front 1 (800x600).jpg

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 23, 2014

They are right, even my watchmaker has some difficulties in opening and closing back. It uses pressed case back rather than screw down, and rather difficult to open (note: don't try yourself it is not like the 60's seamaster or geneve pressed case back). My watchmaker must use his knife + hammer to open it, and press machine to close it.

The good thing since it is very difficult to open, there is high chance the movement is still in pristine condition.

Ask the seller, when is the last time he service it. If it is more than 5 years ago, i suggest to find good watchmaker and have full service. Probably you could ask few hundred bucks down to cover service cost, too.

dogbait likes this.
  11. dogbait Nov 23, 2014

Thanks all - very much! Purchased.

Guess it's now time to justify to the wife why I need a macro lens to practise my watch photography... (it never ends!) ;)

12. Cal861Fan Nov 24, 2014

I've had mine for 16 years now. I still love it to this day. Enjoy!

dogbait likes this.
  13. dogbait Nov 27, 2014

Received it today. Seems to be missing links and in a box for a different Omega. Still looking around it seems a reasonable price and watch is mint.

Funnily enough seems it sold only a few months ago here:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/mint...raph-cal-861-black-dial-steel-bracelet.13089/

Anyways...

Quick question since I don't want to spoil it and it's my first Omega watch. Is there a resource somewhere on how to wind/use a Cal 861 watch?

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 27, 2014

Wind and Wear, my friend,

Wind and wear.

dogbait and pcdubc like this.
  15. Sgt_Bilko Jan 17, 2015

I'm a bit late coming to this thread but I have one of these as well, which has silver hands on a silver dial with a brown crocodile Omega strap and I'd say you had a terrific deal there. I don't wear it every day but it's definitely one of my regular wearers and it's a very stylish dress watch with the added bonus of a Cal 861. These are much, much rarer than Speedmasters and one day I think they could be worth a lot of money.

As for winding I find it takes about 40 winds once a day and the reserve is a little over 48 hours, so if you let it run down completely that's a lot of winding. Always wind a watch slowly and take it off the wrist when doing so. Never force anything but the 861 will come to a very definite stop when it's fully wound so you can't really go wrong. The reliability of this movement is legendary but they still deserve to be treated properly.

Karyl_Raw_140529_V5F7663.jpg
    Tako Yaki, chickenman26 and dogbait like this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2015

Superb watch especially on bracelet and at that price

17. Shem Jan 17, 2015

Congrats! Absolutely beautiful model!

18. dogbait Jan 19, 2015

Sgt_bilko thanks for the kind words. Your watch looks absolutely stunning on a brown crocodile strap.

I rotate my De Ville between my other cheap daily wearers. It's the nicest watch I have so I try to avoid wearing it every day. Besides..since most days I'm slumming it in jeans and a T I feel a little underdressed for such a fine looking timepiece!

I've been also avoiding wearing it until I get it serviced, just in case. Seems thewatchguy (in the UK) is fully booked so been waiting till he has any slots available.

One question about the strap. I used a caliper to measure between the lugs and it appears to be 19mm. Is that the strap size I'd need for a leather strap?
    Also regarding those deployment clasps, any idea which size would fit that strap?

19. Sgt_Bilko Jan 19, 2015

I have around 30 vintage watches and this De Ville from 1997 is the only one that doesn't really qualify as vintage. One of the practical reasons I wear it quite regularly is simply because I know parts and servicing is not a huge problem, whereas that is not the case with some of the other watches. Not long ago my 1970 IWC Yacht Club developed a fault that required a new rotor post, which was only available from a single supplier in Australia. The total bill including a service came to around £700 and it took over three months.

I believe mine has an 18mm strap. Bear in mind these can stretch over time and you want a tiny amount of wriggle room so they can be fitted or removed. The Genuine Omega straps are outrageously expensive and you may be able to find something very similar looking for a lot less money. The buckle on mine came with the strap and I would literally have to cut the leather to remove it. On the underside it says Swiss and then there is a number that looks like it was handwritten but I think it says 13 or 14. Frankly I think your metal strap looks terrific.

dogbait likes this.
  20. dogbait Jan 20, 2015

Great info - one more question if I may :) who do you use to service your numerous watches?