Opinions on this Geneve 166.0173

Hi guys,

This is my very first post after getting interested in Vintage Omegas a while ago. I came across this Geneve 166.0173 and with my relatively inexperienced eye looks like it us original. May I ask your opinion whether this is so and if there are any red flags in getting this first vintage omega?

Thank you in advance!
Edited:

Welcome to OF.

It generally helps if you post photos of the movement and caseback (inside and out) if you have them but from the dial and reference that you’ve provided I’d suggest that you pass on this one and keep looking.

I’m a big fan of Genèves but yours is a later model and these are both less sought after and, generally less expensive, so it’s likely that there will be plenty of choice out there.

On the basis of the one photo, I think that the dial is badly damaged and suspect that something might also show on the movement.

All Genèves are well built and the dials and cases easily hold up for fifty years of wear without deteriorating as yours seems to have.

Hi @Spruce

Thanks for the welcome and your kind comment! I've added photos of the movement and the caseback here.

The price offered to me was $245. Do you think this is expensive for the condition? From your comment I would be inclined to continue looking 😀

Definitely continue looking. You can be picky with the later Geneves as they are neither rare nor competed for.

Hi @Spruce

Thanks for the welcome and your kind comment! I've added photos of the movement and the caseback here.

The price offered to me was $245. Do you think this is expensive for the condition? From your comment I would be inclined to continue looking 😀
I’m sorry to say that the poor condition of the (unserviced) movement reflects the condition of the dial. The seller has polished the case and bracelet but hasn’t managed to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.
Have a look on eBay, both ‘For sale’ and ‘Sold’ to see what your money could get you.

Thank you so much for all the replies! I've decided to keep looking, hopefully will find a good one soon. 😀

This watch, advertised on Instagram, may be worth looking at. The seller is a member of OF, @seekingseaquest and you could always send him a pm if you’re interested

1B14B2F0-A8A0-43BB-BF4B-00949686A548.png