Forums Latest Members
  1. Muddlerminnow Nov 24, 2018

Newbie here--trying to learn nuances of subtle (and not) redialing. This was presented to me as original and not redialed--any thoughts? The dial looks very clean with only a few marks--but the hands seem somewhat oxidized in comparison:

C-2.jpg

Thanks,
    mm

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 24, 2018

Dial looks good to me.

However, the damaged hands, over polished case and super-thick crown do not.
    gatorcpa

McKinley, Muddlerminnow and cristos71 like this.
  3. Muddlerminnow Nov 24, 2018

Thanks, yes--the hands and the over-polished case both stood out. I missed the crown, though, and appreciate your input--.

nb edited to add this is a watch I am considering....

Edited Nov 24, 2018
  4. jimmyd13 Nov 24, 2018

What @gatorcpa said ... but you have to get head on (or side on, ie perpendicular) images. Look at the logo and the cross hair: has the logo been re-applied or is it just the angle of the shot? All sellers are guilty of this. Angled photos look sexier but they don't help us identify originality or rework with certainty.

Muddlerminnow likes this.
  5. Muddlerminnow Nov 24, 2018

Good point--. If a logo has been reapplied, wouldn't there be 'ghosting' from the original markings? This is the most angled photo I have:

C2s.jpg
    The hands look different here--not sure how lighting affects this. Also, as for the crown, I just read an article on the Constellation Collectors forum about how most Constellation crowns were ten-sided--the color of this one doesn't seem to match the case , but again it could be the lighting....and it could be...it could be...

This foray into watches feels less like a rabbit hole and more like a minefield....

Thanks,
    mm

Edited Nov 24, 2018
  6. Noddyman Nov 24, 2018

This watch should date to around 1959/60 and the marker/hands will likely contain radium. Most dials in this style whether Constellation or Seamaster usually have some sign of radium burn around the marker. This one looks nice and clean. As mentioned it’s a shame the case has been so over polished.

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 25, 2018

FFY

Shame about the case as it looks to be a nice dial.
    You might like to read this thread about crowns on this reference started by our own cunning-linguist @ConElPueblo.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-curious-case-of-controversial-constellation-crowns.54568/
    Note the thickness as @gatorcpa pointed out.