Forums Latest Members
  1. fizz Sep 3, 2017

Hi,

I've been a lurker on the forum for sometime and have highly enjoyed the engaging and informative discussions.

I have been an admirer of vintage Omega but always been somewhat unsure of whether the numerous models (especially 2505, 30T2 calibre's etc.) have had their dials tampered (redone, relumed, redialed, coated etc.). I've recently come across a seller who has a large number of vintage Omega's and while they claim that the dials are original, its difficult to tell under the lighting conditions they have used. I have tried to ask them plenty of questions in addition to asking for images under natural/outdoor lights but these haven't always helped.

Anyway, this particular model looks great as a potential dress watch, which is just what I am looking for, but am I right to be sceptical that the dial is completely untouched?

IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0054.jpg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 3, 2017

I vote refinished.

Cross-hairs are too long.

3. fizz Sep 3, 2017

I was afraid someone would say that.

Some more info on the watch:
    - It's 37.5mm without crown,
    - Calibre 265
    - From 1951.

4. ConElPueblo Sep 3, 2017

That's my only objection, too. I don't recall seeing an Omega with a seconds crosshair that large. I must say that it is the best redial of a textured dial I remember seeing, if it really is one.

heavenscloud likes this.
  5. François Pépin Sep 3, 2017

Hard to tell!

I agree the subsecond lignes seem too long. But the scripts look good, especially the Swiss made. And the overall quality is very good. If it is a redial, I would be happy to know who did it!

efauser likes this.
  6. heavenscloud Sep 3, 2017

Agree that the crosshairs look off. If that's a redial, it's a nice one.

7. fizz Sep 3, 2017

So the consensus seems to be it may not be a redial, but the cross hairs are re-done?

Some more pics from different angles if that helps.
    IMG_0056.jpg IMG_0057.jpg

8. heavenscloud Sep 3, 2017

Not sure.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 4, 2017

I still think its refinished in its entirety.

10. doog Sep 4, 2017

A 67 year old watch in what appears to be mint condition, logic dictates that it has to have been refinished in order for it to be that crisp. That said, whoever did the dial is a genius if it has been re-done, lovely work on a tricky surface.

11. kreyke Sep 4, 2017

If the crosshairs has been redone, it's a redial isn't it?

Is it possible to just do a partial redial?

12. François Pépin Sep 4, 2017

As far as I am concerned, I am not sure!

Just a point: it is true that mint condition dials in old watches are usually redials. But it is not always the case, and considering it is you may miss the stunning examples that appear from time to time!
    Concerning this watch, I have found the seller's announce and seen other pics. The entire watch looks mint, including the movement. And texture dials like this one can age very well. So... I do not know!

13. François Pépin Sep 4, 2017

I guess it is possible to do a partial redial, most redialers will only do a full refinish though. But a partial redial is a redial!

14. bubba48 Sep 4, 2017

Original in my opinion.

15. ConElPueblo Sep 4, 2017

16. François Pépin Sep 4, 2017

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 4, 2017

I've been swinging on this one all day. Original, redial, original, redial?

Never seen cross hairs in that style before, but so what, there are many dials I've never seen.

The whole watch is beautifully presented and the ONLY things that make me wary are the cross hairs and the minor corrosion on the movement (and a bit on the case).

I'm still undecided. If the price was right I would risk it.

heavenscloud likes this.
  18. mikechi22 Sep 4, 2017

Redial or not, I'd wear the hell out of that watch! What a beauty! The only trouble is 2350€ seems like the museum quality price and that would make me pause if that weren't a guaranteed factor!

highbob likes this.
  19. Edward53 Sep 4, 2017

Purely from the pictures I would have said the dial was original, but whilst the seller describes some of his other watches as having an "untouched" dial, he doesn't claim it for this one. So I think it's an outstandingly good restoration. If I were considering this I would ask the seller outright.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. Temprus Sep 4, 2017

In my opinion it is redone dial. High quality restoration. Cross-hairs are too long, it should not touch the center in textured dials.It's a cliché for smooth dials. Swiss Made has slightly different font. In addition, this type of dials mostly was used for 18k gold watches.