Forums Latest Members
  1. VinceYoung8 Apr 10, 2019

Hello everyone,

I recently received a Omega Seamaster Automatic from a relative. It looks to be in bad shape but it was still running. I went to the Omega Store out here and got a leather band for it. From the looks of it, the Crown has been replaced and put a generic crown. The lumen thing fell off of the minute hand. There seems to be have some dust or moisture that might have come in through the crown. The bezel spins both ways and without much resistance. Long story short, I want to keep this in my family wonder if there another route I can take besides sending it to Geneva? Omega store stated it would take 6 months and run about ~$3000 USD. I also don't want to lose the "vintage" look to the watch if they make everything nice again. Any advice or help will be much appreciated! Thank you!

Serial Number= 2422****
    24 Jewels
    552 Movement

IMG_9182.jpg IMG_9183.jpg IMG_9184.jpg IMG_9185.jpg IMG_9186.jpg IMG_9187.jpg
    Edited Apr 11, 2019
    OWa, Edward53, stahlmotte and 3 others like this.
  2. BenBagbag Apr 10, 2019

Oh boy. Glad you made it here. Just saved yourself $1000's in servicing fees and the advice here will help you preserve the value of your seamaster by $1000's. Help is on the way. :thumbsup:

For starters - you do not need to send it to Bienne. Where are you located -- that will help with who to recommend for servicing. It's a pretty easy movement to work on, but you will want help on the *minimal* restoration side of things.

3. BenBagbag Apr 10, 2019

Also, people love stories - especially with these early divers. I'm sure we'd love to know a bit more about this relative if you feel comfortable. It looks like they wore the watch - did you see them wear it? :)

4. ndgal Apr 10, 2019

Hello.

Do not send this watch to Omega. They will most likely replace the dial and hands and this watch will lose all of it's vintage appeal and value.
    You should use a watchmaker or shop who specializes in vintage watch restoration.
    They can service a Cal. 552 with ease. Fix the hour hand and re-lume the minute hand .

The whole thing should cost you well under $1,000

Frederic_gva, kkt and VinceYoung8 like this.
  5. TexOmega Apr 10, 2019

With his ID, I would bet he’s from Texas or went to UT

Love the dial and bezel, and case appears to indicate it was used as intended :thumbsup:

Kiss/have a good thought, for that relative, great taste!

VinceYoung8 and BenBagbag like this.
  6. BenBagbag Apr 10, 2019

Heck, you may be able to get the watch serviced for less than you just spent on that band and deployant clasp!

drhombus24 and VinceYoung8 like this.
  7. dputydwg1 Apr 10, 2019

Omega only wants to full restorations and having them refinish the dials is the biggest cost

VinceYoung8 likes this.
  8. VinceYoung8 Apr 10, 2019

Yes! He didn't wear it much towards the later years, but I can remember it being on his wrist growing up. That along with the James Bond Seamasters led me to purchase 2 modern seamasters. I always appreciated the watch but realized I knew nothing about the vintage watches and their legacies. It looks really cool and a great conversation starter!

BenBagbag likes this.
  9. VinceYoung8 Apr 10, 2019

No I didn't go to UT but a huge fan! :thumbsup:

efauser likes this.
  10. VinceYoung8 Apr 10, 2019

That is the problem, I am located in Honolulu, Hawaii! There are probably only 1 "reputable watchmaker" here that I know of but don't know if he has much experience with vintage pieces. :unsure:

11. Dan S Apr 10, 2019

That watch has a really appealing look IMO, enjoy it. A movement service and a proper crown would be my highest priorities.

VinceYoung8 likes this.
  12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 10, 2019

I think the watch would benefit from a a good cleaning, new crystal (yours seems to be cracked below the 9 ), crown and seals.
    There are a number of watchmakers on this forum that could do this kind of job.

VinceYoung8 likes this.
  13. Dan S Apr 10, 2019

14. starcraft Apr 10, 2019

Beautiful watch. Use a trusted watch maker, and don't change anything related to the dial, crystal or hands! Finding a period correct bracelet will be tricky

VinceYoung8 likes this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 10, 2019

Welcome and Hook 'em!

16. JanV Apr 11, 2019

Yours is quite attractive, and in better shape than many we’ve seen here on OF. And with original case, caseback, dial, hands and bezel as it left the factory, all in all an honest and cool watch.

The crystal is not original to the watch, as also the crown. These two need to be replaced, otherwise I would only clean it during service and get the minute hand relumed if possible. I could even live without it being relumed, and just leave the minute hand as it is. This watch tells a story of use, but in an attractive way! So the service could maybe even be made locally as long as you DONT touch the dial, bezel and case.

Edited Apr 11, 2019
    VinceYoung8 likes this.
  17. JanV Apr 11, 2019

18. FlyingSnoopy Apr 11, 2019

It is a beautiful watch, but I also agree. Do not sent it to omega.
    Cheers

VinceYoung8 likes this.
  19. JACK G Apr 11, 2019

Edited Apr 11, 2019
    VinceYoung8 likes this.
  20. stahlmotte Apr 11, 2019

Beautiful watch!!!

VinceYoung8 likes this.