Forums Latest Members
  1. Draven May 13, 2018

May I please get your opinions on this linen dial Seamaster. To me it looks like it may be a cal 552 with a 14k gold dial but looks like it may have been redialled as the 'Seamaster' text doesn't seem right.

Sorry about the images but these are all I have and no image of the movement. It is an auction lot and they don't open the back.

232.JPG e91d8f4a-78b4-4b4e-e323-5e0385a254b9.jpg 0bf14f8a-b58d-46aa-c9cc-2f618ccff310.jpg
  2. BenBagbag May 13, 2018

I can't tell from your photo but maybe someone else can. Photo is too dark. Need a macro. When redials are done to textured dials of any kind, they usually have pretty noticeably uneven print on the dial due to the inconsistent application of ink to the surface.

3. ulackfocus May 13, 2018

First, if it was a solid gold dial, it would probably have OM on either side of the SWISS MADE. Stainless steel SMDVs would not have gold dials.

Second, that back doesn't open - the dial & movement come out from the front after the bezel and crystal are removed. It's called a monocoque or unishell case.

Lastly, the font looks correct but the dial seems to have been cleaned by dipping it into a solution of some kind.

4. Draven May 13, 2018

Brilliant, many thanks. There was a beautiful 14k linen dial listed here by one of the OF member (Private_Doberman I believe) which also did not have the OM. Although now I think about it their case may have been the 14k not the dial.

P1030018.jpg
  5. ConElPueblo May 13, 2018

It looks like a evenly patinated linen dial with some blurring to the text - nothing wrong here :)

I am pretty sure the dial hasn't been cleaned (at least not recently!) as the discolouration is in the lacquer coat and would have been removed by a dial clean.

BenBagbag, felsby and Draven like this.
  6. Draven May 13, 2018

What I can't seem to find is a comparable model SMDV with these matching indicies. I can find ones with the same 12,3,6,9 but not with the all arrow combination.

I thought the dial looked to be gold in colour and wondered if it was not the match for the case but I won't know until I see it in the flesh. You may be correct and it is discolouration on a white/silver linen dial

7. Draven May 13, 2018

Many thanks. It was the dial that really stood out for me. I was lucky enough to win the auction and took a gamble on it. Hopefully I will get some better images of it when it arrives.

AveConscientia and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. Draven May 29, 2018

Finally arrived and so much nicer than I had hoped.

The even patination on the silver linen dial is stunning and really makes the watch stand out. Really happy with it and it is running perfect so far and in really excellent condition. I will try and see if I can get the case open for some movement shots and find out the serial number to date it accurately.

The minute and hour hands have gone a bit Kermit the frog, so I may have them lightly cleaned but really do not want to mess with the dial. The watch came on a vintage Italian Tessuflex mesh strap which I have removed. The original crystal is in good condition with few minor marks but it all adds up to a smile on my face.

Thanks to all for their help and advice.

IMG_3482.jpg IMG_3481.jpg DSC_0135.jpg IMG_3486.jpg DSC_0125.jpg DSC_0122.jpg DSC_0138.jpg DSC_0126.jpg
    Edited May 29, 2018