Forums Latest Members

Opinions on an Unusual Uni-Compax

1. mattbds Dec 2, 2013

Hi All,

I've got my eyes on a 1943 UG Uni-Compax Reference 22269 and am looking for some advice.

I would be interested hearing people's opinions on the condition of the watch (the significant patina and bubbling), it's general appeal (especially given its size and huge lugs – the dial is 38mm and it measures 45mm lug to lug).

Also what do you make of the curious differences it has from the image in the Sala book – noticeably the left hand side chrono markings and the marking of 'Uni-Compax' rather than the Sala 'Compur'?

I'm sort of in love with it but worry that it might be a bit big and the case a little overpolished.

What do you think guys, is this a watch worth a shot?

Regards

DSCN6625.JPG DSCN6628.JPG
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 2, 2013

Friend Matt, I say that's a winner. These eccentric cases are one of the glories of UG - you can't let 'em go by if the rest of the watch is in any kind of decent shape, and this one is. The blistering of the dial veneer is a concern - that's not a stable situation, and you can expect further deterioration - but I doubt you will find its like again in a decade. From your pics, I can't see that the case is all that polished. As for the Compur/Uni-Compax thing, another collector recently showed me a similar instance of model name-mixing. It appears that the models were produced concurrently in the early to mid 1940s, the case references overlap, and the dials were fairly indiscriminately combined with cases at the time. If it were my money, that detail wouldn't stop me from spending it.

let me know what happens, and if you pass it up, PM me the contact info of the seller!

3. ulackfocus Dec 2, 2013

I say you should match the position of the hands on your watch to the watch in the picture - 10:10:31 - and repost. :p

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 3, 2013

What an interesting case design, it looks almost like its pregnant or something lol

5. woodwkr2 Dec 3, 2013

Love those hands and aged lume on the dial. Agree that the blistering dial veneer is a concern, but if it were my watch, I'd just leave it alone and enjoy the fact that it hadn't been re-dialed.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2013

I'd keep it somewhere warm and see what happens :rolleyes:

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 24, 2014