Forums Latest Members
  1. Carlton-Browne Sep 4, 2015

A friend's dentist has just unearthed this which belonged to his father. These are all of the pictures I have and he's understandably reluctant to take the back off - my guess is a 281 but we'll only obviously know if he gets it to somebody suitably equipped. I also see that somebody has shown some ingenuity in getting it on a Rolex bracelet and I've suggested it should come off that pronto.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The case reference shows up in Sala albeit with a different dial and handset - my understanding is that this doesn't pose a problem. My understanding of the watches serial number dates it to 1945.
    [​IMG]

To my eye (and based on the quality of the photos that have been provided) the dial, hands, crown and pushers all look good but I really would appreciate a 2nd opinion. The owner is also asking about potential value - I have no idea at this stage whether this is for insurance purposes or with a view to a sale.

What say you?

2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 4, 2015

He unearthed a very nice watch! It most likely contains a cal. 285, but 281/283/287/386 are all also possibilities depending on the proportions of the dial in comparison to the case. The parts are all correct and the dial is un-refinished. It should look great after some desperately needed tlc.

As far as valuation goes, here are some factors to consider. Uni-compaxes generally go from 1.5k-4k usd (although there certainly are dealers who try to charge way more than that) depending on the size of the case and overall condition. This particular watch has an uncommon waterproof case, albeit the smaller 35mm variation, and that does up the desirability just a smidge; the 38mm waterproof cases have commanded high four figures to low five figures in past private sales and auctions. The dial is in decent condition overall, but there is some wear near the 2 o'clock marker and the logo font has started to fade. The lugs may be a tad over-polished as well, but it's hard to tell with these pictures. I'm nitpicking obviously, but these things do effect value. Would look much better on the wrist than on the sales block!
    *regarding the bracelet, you say ingenuity, I say idiocy ::facepalm1:: ::puke:: lol

Edited Sep 4, 2015
    Carlton-Browne and nicolas07 like this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 4, 2015

IMO - and I'm sort of uncertain - this is an old redial. Something about those subdials doesn't rub me right.

4. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 4, 2015

At first my redial radar was going off as well, but I ended up being satisfied that this is an original finish dial. There a lot of scratches on the crystal obscuring the view of dial, some of the inking has started to fade, and these dials were never precisely made to begin with. In the manuals given out to UG employees, the watchmakers were instructed to redial instead of replacing the dials that came in for repairs to cut costs, so it could certainly be a very good redial, but it doesn't appear that way to me. I reserve the basic human right to be wrong though ;). I think this picture shows the most clear view of the dial.

3.png

5. nicolas07 Sep 4, 2015

Nice watch!
    is it just a visual distortion or is the left leg of the A in compax longuer and more inclined than the right one?
    Is it the correct writing for compax?

Nicolas

6. devnull Sep 4, 2015

Why do you put the valuation so high? I have seen Uni-comaxes in 18k gold in very clean condition that don't get anywhere near $4k. Tri-compax? Sure but not these. Am I missing something about this particular model?

7. nicolas07 Sep 4, 2015

@devnull waterproof steal compaxes are generally more valuable than others ;) (in particular more than gold ones with snap on case back and square pushers).
    This is a trend we can see in many brands by the way, as Longines
    As Jordan says, even more when they are 38mm + :)

jordn likes this.
  8. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 4, 2015

I think you are misreading what I said. I wasn't telling the OP what I think his acquaintance's watch should go for, but rather my account of past sales and the range of prices dealers and private sellers are continuing to ask for these watches. I make a point of not speaking in exact prices when it comes to Universal Geneve watches because the market hasn't really decided what these are worth yet, although, as most people have realized by now, the general trend has been up, up, and up on all models for the last couple of years. Most Rolex dealers have their own list of price ranges for each reference model, but such a practice cannot be applied to UG quite yet, if ever. Each watch needs to be evaluated for its own intrinsic value which is determined by originality, quality, and in many cases, size of the watch, so it is definitely possible for a Uni-Compax or a Compur to sell for more than a Tri-Compax.

9. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 4, 2015

Ugly, yes, but correct :D. Here is another example from Sala
    20150904_180106.jpg

nicolas07 likes this.
  10. Dre Sep 4, 2015

The dial looks very nice and original to me! Looks like the case has been polished quite a bit for my taste. Nice find! What's the diametre?

11. Carlton-Browne Sep 5, 2015

Many thanks for the helpful responses. I'll ask about the diameter.

12. nicolas07 Sep 5, 2015

Thanks for information Jordan :)

13. Carlton-Browne Sep 17, 2015

34mm

14. Redondo444 Jul 23, 2023

Digging out this post as I saw one of these waterproof 22292 (34-35mm) on Chrono with an original dial:

IMG_20230723_102722.jpg IMG_20230723_102740.jpg IMG_20230723_102807.jpg

Was wondering about the lume (radium?!) on the hands.
    Normally it turns out to be yellow, this seems to be slightly greenish.
    Saw some other UG with the greenish lume but still not sure if original.

Mark020 likes this.
  15. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jul 24, 2023

Redondo444, 10H10, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  16. Redondo444 Jul 25, 2023

looks awesome with the relume!

Quoting Vujen here it seems the lume is ok/original:
    Interesting to see the different coloration on these Radium lumed hands.
    Maybe there is a relation to the "mix of radium lume" / "time period" and/or also if waterproof case or not.

Mark020 likes this.
  17. 10H10 Jul 25, 2023

Radium dial seems to be original, that's the most important, forget about the hands ! ;):thumbsup:

18. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jul 26, 2023

Larry S and Redondo444 like this.