Forums Latest Members
  1. Jans Jun 10, 2012

Hello... I've been searching for a vintage Seamaster or Constellation (my first vintage watch) for some weeks now and have already ruled out a few thanks to information generously shared on this forum. I've now seen a Constellation which I'm very tempted by and wondered if anyone would like to weigh in with an expert view?

The seller says it's a 561 movement, 1960s. Doesn't say anything about parts being original or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't see myself becoming an avid collector in the future – at least not unless my income increases dramatically – so could probably live with imperfections that may trouble a collector, but I would like a reasonably "correct" piece, as far as my modest budget will allow.

Many thanks.

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 10, 2012

Looks correct and original to me.

3. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2012

Seems decent to me also. That's one of the hidden crown models - a 168.0xx (xx = either 04 or 10) - and it looks like the larger one. Need a better pic of the crown because I'm not sure if it's original.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2012

What's the price being asked?

5. Jans Jun 10, 2012

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. The seller is asking £575 which seems quite reasonable based on what I've seen elsewhere. However in the end it was just a little more than I was comfortable spending, so I've passed the details on to another forum member who has a special interest in acquiring it.

I picked up what looks to be a nice Seamaster from the same seller - they're what I'd originally been after and, in this case, the price was much more within my comfort zone. I'll post some pics when it arrives; I think I've made a good purchase but it'd be nice to get some of your views on it before the return period expires.

Thanks agaIn.

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 10, 2012

It's the 168.004, I believe. It has the crown hidden completely and powered by a 561. The later models were powered by 564's

[​IMG]

7. JohannesFact Jun 10, 2012

I've picked up the trail (thanks again, Jans). Close as I can tell, this is the exact watch my grandfather wore - the reason that brought me here in the first place.

Below is a pic of the crown. ulackfocus, does it look kosher to you?

Any opinions on whether £575 is a fair asking price?

Thanks again,

Seth

crown.jpg
    [​IMG]

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 10, 2012

Crown looks ok to me. Price converts to about 900 USD. Could probably get it a tad cheaper but for original domed dialled 168.004s with sharp case and clean 561 movement, that's about what they're fetching methinks. The case above isnt as sharp on the lugs and bezel as some, so its a matter of whether you want to haggle it down to a price youre willing to pay

Cheers

Desmond

JohannesFact likes this.
  9. JohannesFact Jun 10, 2012

Many thanks for the expert eye, Desmond.