Forums Latest Members
  1. Farmer1906 Jan 9, 2014

I am looking to joining the Omega / Speedy club. I've been looking for months and about to pull the trigger. I just moved my Breitling Superocean Steelfish so the funds are finally there.

I just wanted to get the more experienced gents on this great forum's opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...1975-Mens-Watch-with-Box-Papers-/271363921350Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Farmer1906 Jan 9, 2014

After further inspection a 31xxxxxx serial number means its '72-'73.

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 9, 2014

There is no step in the dial but I cannot remember (or find out) when this dial variant was changed. I compared the fonts with this site - http://chronomaddox.com/speedy_dial_details.html but couldn't tell which font the watch for sale has. I am sure someone who knows about these things will chime in later.
    The case is a little beat up but has good crisp edges and there is some lume missing from the hour hand, though you probably noticed these issues youself.
    Other than that no movement shot so now way to tell if the paperwork and watch actually match.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 10, 2014

Poor photos make it hard to want to take the risk to buy it at this level.

'70's speedmasters should be the cheapest. (By that I mean with a -7x marked in the caseback.

The papers and box add to the attraction, but not so much the value of these pieces.

The bracelet does add value.

A 70's unserviced head will sell for 1600-1800. The bracelet adds 100-200.

So it is not mad money, but I simply cant see it on the photos!

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2014

The price is close. For that price I would like evidence of a competent, recent service. If not, it's about $500 overpriced at the starting bid.

Yes, mid-late 70's examples are likely the lowest priced examples out there, with little collector desirability at the moment.

That could change in an instant. And if it does, the reasonably priced Omega Speedmaster will probably be the first to jump in price.

I like to think of the cost of a service as insurance and peace of mind. I tend to consider the cost of service separately from the cost of the watch, although you want to budget for the service.

Bottom line, with the wear showing on the case and bezel, I'd like to see it closer to $1800 today, and hope I don't kick myself tomorrow when prices go up!

Tritium likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 10, 2014

Indeed. These are the best value out there.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2014

Sometimes I get that feeling any cal. 861 under $2k should be a "Buy." But the hobby for me isn't about speculation.
    That, and my foresight for "investment return" is pretty crappy. So please do not take this as an endorsement to swoop up any sub-$2k 861's you see. What's that disclosure on my money market statement? Something about volatility and loss of principle blah blah blah...;)

8. Farmer1906 Jan 10, 2014

Thanks for the input. I may contact the jeweler and see if I can get the price down & more information. Obviously the market agrees with you as there are no bids with a day and a half to go.

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2014

Usually you see an opening bid placed by now, and the final price not determined until a pack (herd? flock?) of snipers descend in the final ten seconds.

Advise the seller the whole world has seen the item and there would be an opening bid by now if there was any interest at that price...;)

I looked it up: a group of snipers is called a swarm.

Not really, but it sounds good. But then so does "flocking snipers!"

10. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2014

A gaggle of snipers.

No, that's trivializing it.

How about a snarl of snipers?

John R Smith likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 10, 2014

A murder of snipers maybe?

Can't be too disparaging because I am one on occasion.

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2014

Could be pit or den as I likened snipers to a group of snakes...

Which isn't really polite especially since many of us (myself included) play the 'bay that way.

Sorry...way off topic...

To the OP, best of luck. And if successful, obligatory wrist shots!

13. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2014

A Den of snipers? I would be offended if I didn't snipe listings.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

I personally prefer wolf pack

15. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 10, 2014

Assload.

(from my forthcoming book "I, Sniper".)

Mothra and Time Exposure like this.