Forums Latest Members

Opinions on 18K Gold Speedmaster 32353404001001

1. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

I wanted to know if anyone had any advice/opinions on this Gold Speedmaster. I accept its not a moon watch etc and this will be a problem for most. I am just interested if anyone can give any clues as to original price and if this is a justified price etc.
    I like it and would consider it if I wasn't buying something that was totally out of the price worth. Not a firm contender just yet but am keen to hear

It wouldn't be an investment piece as I would look to hand it down to my son in many years along with others I buy in the future.

Am I allowed to post links to the website offering this for sale? They are asking £7500 but I would offer less.

reference number 32353404001001

Regards,

Jason

Speedmaster Gold Xupe.JPG

arkstfan likes this.
  2. repoman Jan 14, 2016

Well, lets just say it the way it is... gold Speedmasters are unloved :( and gold Speedmaster Automatics less than that (sorry!). Still, you have to do what your heart (and head) tell you to do, so take everything below fwiw...

Personal tastes aside there is a very small (or really no) market for gold Speedy's, so as long as you know that, and it appears you do, then I think you have the right approach. If you have no expectation to sell or flip in the future, then even better.

This may come off as snobbery, but personally, I wouldn't pay over $10,000 USD for a Speedmaster Automatic... gold or otherwise. that's a LOT of money for a wrist watch, and you have so many choices at that price point (including other brands). For me, the watch needs to be attractive, yes, but it also has to have some kind of history, horological significance, a special place in your personal collection, etc. When you hand this piece down to the next gen, will this piece be looked at over the course of time as a real treasure? I don't think this one will. A lot of choices you could make now with $10k USD would have both, sentimental value, and horological/collector value. Take that into consideration.

Have you seen the gold Speedy Pro that @Kringkily has for sale in this forum? https://omegaforums.net/threads/new...1-18k-yellow-gold-on-strap.29863/#post-383834 That's a nice watch if you like gold Speedy's and I would strongly favor the gold Speedy Pro over the gold Speedy Automatic if it came down to those two.

I also think the market is a bit overvalued right now, absolutely positively counter-offer anything right now. The market is on your side.

Just my $0.02, good luck!

Sameh and Spacefruit like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 14, 2016

Not all gold speedmasters are unloved, are they @repoman?

182716-23ac3cb9451934aea9815cd0e831473f.jpg

Sameh, Lou P, repoman and 1 other person like this.
  4. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

A perfect response and exactly what I was looking for.
    I totally get that it goes against all the Speedy traits. As mentioned. I am very much on the fence with it as the money can be spent on other pieces instead. I think I may stick with the new 57 broad arrow then add an authentic speedmaster Moonwatch later down the line.
    There are just so many different pieces I love and it's doing my head in knowing which one to choose as my first purchase.

image.jpeg image.png image.png

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Sameh likes this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 14, 2016

I find that watch to be attractive, BUT... I find many watches to be attractive and the reality is there are many choices in that price range that would be a better choice from a looks perspective, and most important from an investment standpoint.

Why not a birth year speedy of your son/daughter?

6. calalum Jan 14, 2016

Personally, I don't like that dial layout. I also agree that the price is far too high. Some here do like gold Speedmasters, so that is just personal taste. But unless you really like that configuration, look around and you will find others. Here is one of mine. Omega 2000 gold Speedy 1.JPG

7. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

That was actually one of the reasons that was slightly drawing me to this piece, my sons birth date was 17th Jan 2010 and this is dated 26th Jan 2010. I would LOVE to find a perfect piece dated 17th Jan 2010. That would almost bring me to tears.

I'm strongly considering a new 57 broad arrow this Sunday as my first piece which will be dated 17th Jan 2016.

You are right though, the configuration is not my ideal. I much prefer symmetry.

Are there any ways of looking for a watch dated 17th Jan 2010?

arkstfan likes this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 14, 2016

With that said, then pick up a 2010 Speedy. They are relatively inexpensive and frankly everybody should own at least one Speedmaster Professional.

9. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

Yes I agree. Would a 57 broad arrow AND a speedy pro be a bit overkill? Would I be better with a speedy pro and a sub (I would want a sub in the mix at some stage anyway)
    I really like the leather strap on the 57 (I know I can put leather on the pro but I loved the matching colour of the hands and markers with the leather.

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 14, 2016

Overkill on a speedy!? Okay, I see you just joined 7 days ago and have only 18 posts.

@repoman is it possible to have too many speedies?

oddboy likes this.
  11. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

Haha. Sorry that came across wrong. Yes I am a fresh newbie.
    What I meant was, would I be better off with say a Speedy Pro and a sea master 300 rather than a speedy pro and a 57 broad arrow. I know a speedy pro would never be overkill in anyone's collection.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 14, 2016

Why not all three? Plus a few vintage speedies?

13. repoman Jan 14, 2016

I should have fully disclosed that yes I have a gold Speedy, and my comment about "unloved" was a broad statement of the marketplace... I personally love gold Speedy's but realize I'll never be able to sell them (which is a genius move on my part if I do say so myself... that way the wife can't make me sell my watches). I'm also consistent in never following my own advice :D

14. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

I need to choose one maybe two that will keep me satisfied for 2/3 years whilst I pay them off and then choose the next one.
    I would need a leather strap Omega and a bracelet piece so the speedy pro with a changeable leather strap would tuck many boxes for now.
    Just when I think my mind is made up, I see/try something else on that makes me question the top contender.

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 14, 2016

" I need to choose one maybe two that will keep me satisfied for 2/3 years "

LOL. I have stated at least twice on this message beard that this is my last watch. So I totally get what you are saying.

JLMedia likes this.
  16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 14, 2016

Ah, I see. Yeah, 2/3 of a year is only 8 months, right? ;)

Definitely take your time to decide.. don't go too fast, unless you're ok flipping a few while you zero in on what really turns your crank (or can afford to leave them in the watch box). It can certainly be overwhelming with so many choices, but chances are, when you find the one(s) that do it, you'll know.

JLMedia and Taddyangle like this.
  17. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

I've been looking for quite a whilst now and it's consuming my life. It's crazy how bad it grips you.
    I know I will definitely want/have a Sub and know I most definitely want an omega but just need to make a final decision on what to get now.
    I'm the sort of guy that doesn't really worry about the expense and if I have lost money in something. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't have money to burn but I just don't let regrets get the better of me. Whatever I choose I will love and will have a place in my collection. I'm just trying to find 1 maybe 2 that will keep me truly satisfied for a decent period.

18. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 14, 2016

Hahaha... Wellcome to our world. You are caught.

19. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

Yep. There's no going back haha. It's nice to be in like minded company though

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 14, 2016

Yes I think if you are going to spend that sort of money on a watch you have to love it.

This is mine, and it cost a bit more than that so they cannot compare - I think we need a thread!

1-P2220006.jpg
    1-P2220037.jpg

fibonacci086 and Lou P like this.