Forums Latest Members
  1. PerJ Oct 18, 2017

Hi guys,

I wanted to hear your opinion on an old Omega that sold yesterday here in Sweden. I am by no means an expert on these watches so I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this piece. We discussed it on a local forum but it seems these are so rare and few around that it is difficult to reach a conclusion.

Hopefully it is correct but I have my doubts regarding the dial. Condition is mint as you can see from the photos. Not only the dial color but also the Omega logo and text seem too wide and big for me for a watch from the 40's. Of course it was a big watch even then but it doesn't look like what I would expect for a 1945 watch.

Unfortunately a lot of reference material on the net is gone due to Photobucket but I am confident many of you are knowledgable on the subject. It hammered for a strong price which could imply that it is indeed a great watch in great condition. I am mostly just curious. :)

Thank you for taking the time to look!

https://online.auktionsverket.se/1710/478313-omega-chronometre-herrarmbandsur/

[​IMG]

Skrotis likes this.
  2. jumpingsecond Oct 18, 2017

Looks pristine so understandable that suspicions are raised. Some of these chronometers have been refinished to such a high standard its very difficult to differentiate from original without close inspection of naked dial. I found this example online. Somewhat similar but not quite. One of the experts like @Bill Sohne or @mac_omega will hopefully tell you more.
    12080527_927505237319569_30600266_n.jpg

3. TropicConnie Oct 18, 2017

I'd hardly call that dial mint, but it's certainly very good for the age. A very neat piece of Omega history.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 18, 2017

I believe it to be a redial, and partly for the reasons that you stated: fonts are too large for that period.

Also, too clean. The watch is nowhere near being in "mint" condition – just look at the high-res photos.

Here's one that I used to own, with a case in better condition than that of the subject watch, for comparison:

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 18, 2017
    jumpingsecond likes this.
  5. Skrotis Oct 18, 2017

Its a interesting box if you take up the picture you se its the one whit the metallplate on top stating chronometer pretty rare.

6. bubba48 Oct 18, 2017

Both redialed or both good??

Clipboard011.jpg

Clipboard012.jpg

Clipboard013.jpg

Clipboard014.jpg

7. Skrotis Oct 18, 2017

belive the comparison dial is ref 2365 33,5mm

8. mac_omega Oct 18, 2017

The dial is partly restored

Let me explain:

The numbers and the seconds track are made of very thin black enamel, only the logo and the wording are black print

These dials are good for restoration

You can wash the dial with a solvent to remove the deteriorated top lacquer but you will only lose the printed part...

that means you will only have to relacquer the dial with a clear lacquer and then re-print the logo and the wording

It will result in a perfect dial in case you have the correct font and size of the wording - which was not the case on this particular dial.

It can be corrected as described above.

9. mac_omega Oct 18, 2017

PS: I have just checked the auction photos under magnification.

It is not obvious if there have been other work to the dial or not. usually you should see a differently brushed zone below the hour numerals - it is not visible here - maybe it is a bad photo or it is over-exposed...

The font looks correct but is way too large and wide.

I do not understand this - the rstorer knows the correct font but uses a way wrong size ::facepalm2::

The rest of the watch does not look so bad - there is a lot of DNA present of the former owner (some call t crud...), but this will clean up nicely.

Movement looks good except the wrong Glucydur balance - it should have a bimetallic compensation balance.

It has even the original spring bars...

And hey - it has the original box which costs a lot!

Not a bad purchase I would say

10. PerJ Oct 18, 2017

Thank you mac. Sounds like a feasable explanation.

As often with auction pics it is over exposed. That does not mean the dial is touched up; just means most auction pics look this way and that you are always best off having the piece in your hand. :)

11. Skrotis Oct 18, 2017

The watch came from a estate in north of Sweden where the owner past away last year together whit a other chronometer from Omega,a Seamaster from 67 in very good condition.