Forums Latest Members

Opinions needed: the specific watch which best represents vintage.

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 15, 2017

A constant refrain of my life is being asked some form of "why do you need more than one or two watches?".

"Well, I suppose it's because I like watches".

And, more specifically, I like wristwatches. I've no particular fondness for any other type of time telling (say, wall clocks). Nope. Just wrist watches.

So, I started thinking of a specific watch which would best capture the spirit of vintage would have to be a 1950's Longines.

The 1950's seems like the peak or apex of analogue watch tech and aesthetics (imho)

So, with that in my mind, I choose a glossy black gilt dial Longines 13zn as the perfect vintage watch.

What's your single favorite "vintage" wristwatch?

Do you even have a favorite?

Pic courtesy of A/S

IMG_3743.JPG
    Edited Oct 15, 2017
    michael22 and Bienne2998 like this.
  2. NT931 Oct 15, 2017

My favourite vintage? Man, that's going to be tough for anyone in this forum to pick only 1. But if there was only one, it would be my 5513.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 15, 2017

I bet the 5513 (all SS subs) would be a plurality of first choice for most watch enthusiasts. It would certainly be top 3 or so.

That watch captures what we all love about vintage!

Thank you for answering.

-rich

4. SeanO Oct 16, 2017

For the 30’s I would pick my Hamilton Dunkirk.

For the 40’s probably one of the Hanhart flieger chrono’s

For the 50’s (the hardest bloc) my Gallet Multichron or my Hamilton Spectra.

For the 60’s a C case Constellation.

For the 70’s a Zenith EP

I run out of interest about there because watch technology is about done until you reach the 90’s and Spring Drive and the various new materials being worked on.

5. BenBagbag Oct 16, 2017

Pics please! I like your style.