Forums Latest Members

Opinions needed. speedmaster vs el primero

1. panic k. Oct 26, 2017

Hey Guys

After selling my PO i'm looking for a replacement.
    Need something versatile that can be worn at all times and preferably a black and white face so it can be worn with anything. The orange PO was a bit restrictive

So i started with the following options
    Speedmaster
    Tudor Pelagos
    Tudor Black Bay
    Panerai 380

After eliminating the last three i decided i would go for the speedy but then i saw the zenith chronomaster.
    and i'm torn between the two.
    Price is about the same although i guess i can find a speedy for less.

Thoughts? bear in mind this will be my only "good" watch for a good while

omega.jpg zenith.jpg
  2. nurseford25 Oct 26, 2017

Speedy all the way. The versatility of that watch is endless. Plus it’s black and white like you were looking for.

AveConscientia and watchos like this.
  3. simon.pearl Oct 26, 2017

Tough decision, I’ve long loved the zenith and you see them less often which is a plus for me.

neilfrancis likes this.
  4. Bumper Oct 26, 2017

IMHO, the Zenith looks classier....
    However, I was looking for one for a long time, but when i got one on the wrist, i found it a little small. Plus, with the onset of middle age, the eyes can't make out the details that well..

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 26, 2017

I guess it comes down to whether you want a manual wind tool watch or an automatic dress watch..

You rarely see a Zenith on other people but every man and his dog wears a Speedmaster. For that reason alone, I would plump for the EP.

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 26, 2017

IMG_20170410_123727.jpg

True words. I'd still go with the speedy.

Zenith, were they made by same company that made TVs?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 26, 2017

I couldn't choose and bought both so not the best to answer

NT931 and neilfrancis like this.
  8. sevenhelmet Oct 26, 2017

You have two very different watches there...

Of course, you know which camp I fall into. I've always believed if you can only have one "good" watch, that it should be a Speedy. I had wanted one my whole life until I could finally afford it.

9. SeanO Oct 26, 2017

why do you need a chronograph?

if you're going the "only one watch" route why not roll with the Panerai? everybody will notice it (which is the purpose of spending all that money).

neilfrancis likes this.
  10. propervinyl Oct 26, 2017

Both are great watches with top notch pedigree. Cant go "wrong" with either.

I think there are three operative questions here:

1) Do you prefer an automatic or manual movement?

2) The Omega dresses down better. The Zenith dresses up better. IMO Zenith makes chronographs that are closer to the middle of the spectrum, but what is more important to you?

3) Try them on. Which do you like more?

Do you live near an AD for both Omega and Zenith? Go try them on, side by side. Which one do you like best? Maybe don't buy that day. Take some time, think about the situations in which you will wear it, and go back and try them on again. But buy the one that speaks to you.

11. panic k. Oct 26, 2017

Thank you all for your replies.

To answer the above

I dont have a preference between an automatic vs a manual movement. I'm not going to wear it every day so its the same for me. Also i think the zenith movement is better than the one in the Omega
    The usual attire is jeans tshirt/shirt. I think both can pull it off.
    I tried the speedmaster and it looks good on my wrist. Cant say i was blown away but i liked it.
    Unfortunately i dont think i can find a chronomaster locally (cyprus)

Two things that make me undecided. For 3000 euro i can buy a new speedmaster. For the same (maybe a bit less) a zenith but from ~2000
    So why not get the new one.
    And size. 42mm is fine. 40mm i dont know

I guess i'm scared of making a wrong choice. Heart says Zenith mind says Omega
    I

12. Waltesefalcon Oct 26, 2017

I'd go with the Zenith, it is a really gorgeous watch and dressier than the Speedy.

neilfrancis likes this.
  13. No Mercy Oct 26, 2017

Follow your heart, you used your mind every working days.

patrick1616 likes this.
  14. yinzerniner Oct 26, 2017

Have to echo some of the earlier comments in that the Speedy is a bit more versatile being a sport chrono with black dial, bezel and bracelet option as opposed to a moonphase with white dial and straps only, but the El Primero is a great looking piece and if your heart is tugging more towards it that's the way to go.
    Really can't lose either way, so go with the heart if it's really tugging at you. Or a good compromise could be a 38mm 1969, which is about the same market price as the Chronomaster and has the El Primero movement, but much sportier look and available with the bracelet:
    [​IMG]

NT931, George.A and gostang9 like this.
  15. neilfrancis Oct 26, 2017

Damn, that is a tough one. I can't help, sorry.

16. Georgieboy58 Oct 26, 2017

Both
    IMG_1698.JPG
    Couldn't resist

panic k. likes this.
  17. kkt Oct 27, 2017

I wonder what those sensitive doggy ears make of the ticking...

18. panic k. Oct 27, 2017

well i found one of these locally. i will go and check it out next week. same case same size. if it fits ok i will go with the zenith. if not then i'm in the speedy club!

19. Shailor Oct 27, 2017

I'd go with the Speedmaster. Iconic good looks, proven track record and, if well cared for, something you can turn around and sell easily. Besides, the Zenith looks too busy.

IMG_0372.JPG
  20. BenBagbag Oct 27, 2017

If you aren't going to use it every day and you end up with the EP consider getting a watch winder because you've got a lot of complications that will be very very annoying to reset every time you want to wear it.

mikesspeedy and Shailor like this.