M'Bob
·The bezel on this watch is 18K, so relatively soft, and I’d like to swap it for a smooth bezel:
The proper Rolex four-bladed tool is this one, but it’s very expensive for the amateur tinkerer:
The copies, many available on Amazon, routinely get terrible reviews. Apparently, the tolerances and action are typically awful:
There are many posts and videos about removal of these bezels with a razor blade to start, and then a case knife, going circumferentially. Unlike a fixed Speedmaster bezel, that will get to a point during removal when it will pop off, these are apparently friction fit to the sides of the crystal, so they have to be gradually worked off.
I would appreciate anyone’s experience/opinions on the best way to go about this. I would add that independent watchmakers with the Rolex tool and not that easy to find. Thanks.
The proper Rolex four-bladed tool is this one, but it’s very expensive for the amateur tinkerer:
The copies, many available on Amazon, routinely get terrible reviews. Apparently, the tolerances and action are typically awful:
There are many posts and videos about removal of these bezels with a razor blade to start, and then a case knife, going circumferentially. Unlike a fixed Speedmaster bezel, that will get to a point during removal when it will pop off, these are apparently friction fit to the sides of the crystal, so they have to be gradually worked off.
I would appreciate anyone’s experience/opinions on the best way to go about this. I would add that independent watchmakers with the Rolex tool and not that easy to find. Thanks.



