Forums Latest Members

Opinion - Which model ? Omega Professional Hesalite (1861) or Sapphire (1863)

1. Stefan6549 Jun 3, 2019

First Omega purchase.......which one should I purchase ? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

2. Martin_J_N Jun 3, 2019

I bought the Hesalite version 10 days ago and I am loving every second of ownership, I am also thinking that I should buy more Speedmasters in different guises in the years ahead, so many cool designs.

3. Jokr Jun 3, 2019

4. Evitzee Jun 3, 2019

No right answer. Some like the traditional hesalite/solid back model while others like the clear back and sapphire crystal. Your choice.

5. jpjsavage Jun 3, 2019

Two different options but both good in their own way. I'd go traditional and choose the hesalite. Do let us know what you choose to do and enjoy your new watch!

6. Omega-Q Jun 3, 2019

Do you have the ability to try them both on? It's different strokes for different folks. I think if you compare them in person, you will know which one. For me, I would pick hesalite...

7. Stefan6549 Jun 3, 2019

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and opinions. Greatly appreciated. Yes, Omega-Q I've test drove both ;=) We have an Omega AD near me. Love them both......and leaning more to the original Hesalite model. Thanks again......

Foo2rama, Omega-Q and artek like this.
  8. artek Jun 3, 2019

Good choice. I lean towards hesalite as well.

9. stuart70 Jun 3, 2019

You could throw into the mix the FOIS. For me it is the Pro - hesalite but the sapphire works on the FOIS.
    But as everyone else has said you cannot beat trying them on side by side. For me the difference was clear.

10. rainking Jun 3, 2019

This forum is like Groundhog Day half the time. It feels like it has an inordinate amount of users who have never been on the internet before and who have no idea how to search for anything. It's not a big deal at the end of the day but sheesh. It's like going onto an AV forum and starting a thread to say, hey guys, which TV is better, Samsung or Sony, when you might reasonably assume the topic has probably previously been discussed at length LOL

AaronPDX, chiswick and Jokr like this.
  11. 321Only Jun 3, 2019

I would personally always choose the hesalite over the sapphire as the look is so much nicer. You should find a dealer and see both in person.
    Pictures don’t really help, especially in a first purchase decision.

12. mmrols Jun 3, 2019

Definitely hesalite.

13. stockae92 Jun 3, 2019

I went back and forth, and back again, then went to a completely different direction (X-33s instead of Speedmaster Pro).

If I have to choose between Hesalite and Sapphire today, I would go with Sapphire. Its just that I found myself enjoy more seeing the movement.

To OP, see what you appreciate more, and go with that.

ahartfie and Keef Richards like this.
  14. krh7 Jun 3, 2019

Sapphire for me based on case back and way it makes the watch look more modern.

jrv1224 and Keef Richards like this.
  15. guwipa Jun 4, 2019

Hesalite, of cause :cool:

image.jpg

ras47 and Martin_J_N like this.
  16. MalaMD Jun 4, 2019

Another vote for Hesalite

Martin_J_N likes this.
  17. guwipa Jun 4, 2019

Me too :D

image.jpg

ras47, felixm, Martin_J_N and 2 others like this.
  18. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 4, 2019

For me, the only drawback to the hesalite is that you can't use it to reflect sunlight into the eyes of your enemies when in close-quarters combat.

19. Duckie Jun 4, 2019

This would arguably be the most asked question regarding the Speedy Pro, other than queries regarding winding or water resistance.
    As you can see in other responses this has been discussed to death.
    Seeing as you have ample opportunity to try it on then you are in a very good place.

I would say there are a couple of straight forward issues to consider.
    First, if the milky ring around the perimeter of the Saphire crystal doesn't bother you and the watch sings to you then that probably ought to be the one to go for.
    Secondly, if you are likely to be a bit bothered with the milky ring and can't unsee it then the Hesalite version should be the go as long as you don't mind the potential for the Crystal to get scratches and show signs of getting knocked around. This is it's it's only real drawback and is very easily managed or rectified.
    Keep in mind the Hesalite version is the closest to the original/most authentic format (if that matters to you).

Ideally, the version you choose should sing to you on the wrist and transcend the novelty of a see through Case back.

Hesalite has a lot going for it on a number of levels. I bought my Speedy because it is Hesalite and I regard it as an endeering feature of the model.
    In summary, I personally vote for the Hesalite.

20. Hamshirescott Jun 7, 2019

Go for the original and the best. Plastic!

Martin_J_N likes this.