Forums Latest Members
  1. Cad290 Jun 29, 2017

Hello All,

I recently sold a vintage Omega chronograph on ebay (which was probably my mistake). Everything was functioning very well for the year and a half I owned it and also the day I made the listing and the day I shipped it off. It felt good when winding, ran and kept decent time (+/-45 seconds a day), the pushers felt crisp, the chrono started and stopped fine and reset to starting position. The listing had "no returns accepted" selected on it. I shipped the watch the day it sold (3 weeks ago), and asked the buyer if everything was alright when it arrived. A week later he replied, "yup, all good. thanks!. Then, yesterday, two weeks after that, he told me the watch wasn't functioning at all, the movement was "filthy" (I included a movement photo in the listing), and that his watchmaker said it would require service that would cost $600. Now he is trying to return the item via ebay (he did not ask about a partial refund for the cost of servicing the watch). What is the right move here? I did check the watch before I shipped it and was working very well. Surely something could happen in 3 weeks that it would stop, but in that case is it my problem? Is it even worth it to try and not accept the return on ebay? Am I being an asshole by not accepting a return? If I had been told of an issue the day it arrived I would be more accommodating, but after this amount of time and after being told it was all good I am leaning towards trying to not accept the return. So I'll let the forum decide. Any advice or previous experience with an issue like this, especially on ebay, would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS here is the listing for the watch in question when I purchased it:
    https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/rare-omega-watches/chronograph-ref-2278-2-18/24368

2. BenBagbag Jun 29, 2017

Would you feel comfortable sharing the wording of your sale listing here?

It all depends what you guaranteed. Did you mention it probably needs to be serviced or service history unknown? What picture did you share of the movement (was it current?)?

Too many questions here...

3. bags1971 Jun 29, 2017

ebay can see your messages you can argue he said it was all good they will take that into account

Mark020 and OMGRLX like this.
  4. omegastar Jun 29, 2017

Did the buyer pay with Paypal ?
    Where are you located and where is he located ?
    He should return it in the same condition he received it.

5. Cad290 Jun 29, 2017

The picture was made the day of the listing, the day before it sold, I stated that everything was functioning correctly, which it was at the time. I did not state anything pertaining to the service history (as I have no info other than I didn't get it serviced). The buyer is a watch dealer, and did not ask me about the service history before bidding. Payment was made through PayPal, we are both in the USA but not close to each other. Thanks for the help!

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 29, 2017

Accept the return and have him pay for return shipping. This is the best outcome to expect from eBay.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 29, 2017

Let's see your movement picture.

BenBagbag likes this.
  8. Dgercp Jun 29, 2017

Just my opinion, it seems he did not ask for movement pics and did not ask for service history prior to purchase. The watch was fine when he first got it. You did not misrepresent anything. The fairest thing would be to split service costs, but it sounds like he does not want that option.

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. omegastar Jun 29, 2017

If he is a professional watch dealer, the best angle would be to say that he does not need 3 weeks to asses the condition of a watch and that he knows that vintage watches need a service to be used on a daily basis.
    That you mentioned it was a no return sale.
    But in the end Paypal or eBay will decide of the outcome...

Mark020, dodo44, mr_yossarian and 3 others like this.
  10. Cad290 Jun 29, 2017

iPhone snapshot from eBay listing IMG_2049.PNG

11. BenBagbag Jun 29, 2017

Simply needed to add "and no guarantee is being made to the future performance of the watch."

R3D9 and OMGRLX like this.
  12. mac_omega Jun 29, 2017

I think you did no wrong.

I would not accept a return as he as a dealer told you all was fine with the watch upon receipt - so he as a professional should be in the know...

Let ebay know all these details and they have the emails as a proof.

I think it is a disgusting practice to ask for a return after so much time.

And you don´t know if the dealer took some parts, swapped good parts for worn ones - in this wide timeframe he had plenty of time to alter the movement.

Scarecrow Boat, Syrte, lando and 12 others like this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 29, 2017

Let him open a case...

Just make sure that you get the watch back! Sometime PP will refund money and then the buyer never has to return watch.

I think that ebay will side if all was well for 3 weeks.

This sucks, and a dealer knows better. Are they well known???

Mark020 and OMGRLX like this.
  14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 29, 2017

Accepting the return will likely be the best solution.

Unfortunately a no return policy is pretty much worthless when eBay and PayPal are involved.

You may be able to make a counter claim with eBay after accepting the return because the watch will not be in the condition as you sent it, i.e. fully functional, which was the confirmed condition by the buyer after receipt.

I have had success doing this when an item had clearly been tampered with.

Cad290, OMGRLX and BenBagbag like this.
  15. Cad290 Jun 29, 2017

That's good advice, thank you. Yes the dealer is well known, so it bothers me that he would have the watch for a week without winding it and testing the chrono and still tell me that "all is good" with it. Also he claims to be happy with the watch besides the fact that he claims it isn't functioning, but asked to return it for a full refund instead of asking for a partial refund to pay for the cost of service.

16. mac_omega Jun 29, 2017

My experience in an ebay issue as a buyer:

I lost my claim for return only because I had opened up the case to view the condition of the movement!

I would not have been allowed to open it - so ebay sided with the seller although he had mispresented the watch.

You are likely to be successful on this line also....

AveConscientia likes this.
  17. Cad290 Jun 29, 2017

Wow that's pretty incredible.

18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 29, 2017

Sounds like he bought thinking he had a buyer, and now that buyer backed out, and he doesn't want to sell.

Is this seller persona non grata on here???

sdre, mikechi22, kov and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cad290 Jun 29, 2017

I don't think so, don't want to point any fingers until it is resolved.

kov likes this.
  20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 29, 2017

I hear you...best way to handle it.