Forums Latest Members

Opinion - Wakmann triple calendar

1. sarir97 Dec 29, 2015

I found this Wakmann on EBay. It looks really beat up, but appears to be all original. It's not currently working, which is certainly concerning. Questions: what do you believe to be its value? Is the asking price reasonable? Are parts (crystal, etc) available?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151927944716Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Dec 29, 2015
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 29, 2015

If its worth so damn much more serviced, why doesn't he get it serviced? Oh, because its not worth that much more........

I'd look for one that's running. Stuff like that can be a real money pit!

sarir97 likes this.
  3. calalum Dec 29, 2015

My similar Gigandet is at the shop and has been for a few months for a service. Not sure why it is taking so long but not a good sign in terms of picking one up that doesn't run. And the price seems high, confirmed by the fact that the watch is still there.

sarir97 likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Dec 30, 2015

Certainly agree with comments above and was gonna pile on but realize everyone has a different cost basis, experience and motivation.

Stick around here on this forum and you'll find what you're looking for ...

The eBay listing includes a make offer option but given that seller's comment, doesn't seem that seller wants ANY lower offer So you never know

Cheers!

sarir97 likes this.
  5. B.Frost Dec 30, 2015

If you're patient, you'll find a better example at a much lower price. I recently saw one in near-minty shape on ebay that went for this seller's asking price, $1,800.

And about 18 months ago, I purchased this example on ebay (it needed service too) for just $925:
    [​IMG]

I have a great watchmaker, so I was confident in making the purchase. That was another $375, but all in all turned out great.

These watches are going up in value, but IMHO the seller is a little too ambitious in this case. Be patient and you'll find the right example at the right price for you.

6. JohnSteed Dec 30, 2015

7. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 9, 2016

I'm a little late to add to this but be patient as these can be had for less in running condition. They house a Valjoux 72c movement. Parts can be found as I have purchased and sold this dial, case, and case back in the past. I enjoy mine!!! image.jpeg

B.Frost likes this.